Iguana question, need answer soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrgoogls

Hatchling Member
I have been looking into getting an iguana for about a month and i think i am capable of the care. My dad used to own 1 when he was in college and he said it is very easy to take care of and they are just really big and eat alot:p But online every1 says they are very very very hard. So, besides taming them( i am very very good at taming animals) what makes them so hard to care for?

kjinxx2

Sub-Adult Member
I owned an Iguana for many years, they require an insanely large enclosure, we're talking nearly half the size of a regular room - expect to get an enclosure that is AT LEAST 8' Wide X 4' Deep X 6' Tall. They like to climb, they like to bath, they like to run around. My Iguana was near 5' long when I got rid of him and he was still growing, I simply couldn't afford to keep getting larger cages. They have horrific tempers, I held mine every day and would still get scratched hands, bites, and horrific tail whippings. And they HURT!

I don't mean to deter you, but it's a lot of responsibility, they're one of the hardest lizards to care for.

mrgoogls

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
i already know that they get HUGE and need HUGE cages, but my dad said his was very nice cept wen he 1st got it of course. So i think that just depends on the lizard and how much u handle it

slifer892

They do need huge enclosures and takes sometimes up to two years to tame them doen. But it is worth getting an iguana if you do want one. Just remember UVB and calcium rich foods such as Greens. And yes they will eat nearly two plates full every day when they are their full 6-=7 feet long. But mine is fine and loves to be out of viv.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom