bearded dragon not pooping!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi! i've had my bearded dragon for about a week and a half. on the second day i had him he pooped. he has not pooped SINCE! i read on another post to give him applesauce and a couple drops of olive oil. he hasn't ate any so i can't say whether it will work or not. i'm just getting really worried. there's no bumps on his back or belly. he has got baths regularly (about every other day). his temps are fine. i keep a heating pad under his 'hot' side during the day and he just lays on the bottom of the cage with his belly flat on the warmness. i also want to add they he ate a big meal a couple of days ago and has not eaten since. something seems stange about him. he's just not eating or pooping. and hasn't dont it regularly since i got him. he seems lathargic, but i wasn't sure if beardies were that way anyway. any suggestions?

Grog2011

were having a problem similiar to that, except it has only been 3 days and he has eaten 6 crickets collard greens and a little bit of fresh green beans and hasnt pooped.... Anybody got a idea wussa goin on?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would recommend a nice warm bath for both beardies. You can also massage very gently on the right side from armpit to vent area, that can help get things moving.

Also, make sure you're using either a digital thermometer with a long wire & probe end or a temperature gun to check the temps as they are the only 2 ways to get accurate readings. Without proper temps, a beardie can't digest sufficiently.

What are the tank temps now?

Grog2011

just saw that when i said he had eaten 6 crickets collard greens and some fresh green beans i meant all that in each of the three days so hes had alot to eat.

we tried the warm bath thing and let him sit in there til the water went cold, didnt work.

the tank temp for us is about 85 degrees cuz we just went lights out for him for the night but he has been chillin on his fake plant thing that he climbs up on alot the past two days and he gets to the very top and sleeps his butt off (hes very chill dude). Could that mean or be a sign of anything????

FalesityMecca

Original Poster
Just gave mine a nice warm bath and POOP! I've gave him baths before but this one did the trick. I massaged down the right side and I also messaged around the 'exit.' not but 15-30 seconds later he pooped! Thanks for the advice!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
FalesityMecca, great that he pooped for you! Massaging can really help get things moving down. How old is he? What type of thermometer are you using and what are the tank temps?

We really don't recommend heat rocks or heat pads because they can over heat causing burns. Beardies sense heat from the 3rd eye on top of their heads so if their belly gets too hot, they may not notice it until it has burned them.

If your beardie is not an adult, he really shouldn't be acting lethargic so if that's the case it would be a good idea to go over your tank setup with you. If an adult, he may be at least semi-brumating.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Grog2011, I imagine that is a picture of your baby in your signature. Babies should have quite a large appetite so eating only 6 crickets a day really isn't much at all. Babies can eat anywhere from 30 to 100 crickets a day. Are you only offering 6 crickets or is that all he wants to eat? Babies also should be very active. How long have you had him? What type of thermometer are you using and what are the tank temps during the day?

Also, what brand and type of UVB are you both using?

Grog2011

We were informed to only feed him 6 a day but he does look like hes lookin for more after i give him the 6th.... Thats why we throw in the collard greens and fresh green beans. Were not exactly sure how old he is bit were definite hes young. We really love our lil Grog and want to do the best and give him the best! Tomorrow will be one week weve had him.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Unfortunately, petstores (I imagine that's where you got him) don't research each and every critter they sell so they don't really know all the info there is to know about them. For a baby, we recommend feeding all the live food they want to eat in a 10 to 15 minute timeframe 2 to 3 times a day. They will stop each time when they've had their fill. Babies need a LOT of protein to help them grow sufficiently and to develop proper bone growth. So, they need the live feeders more than they do greens. Also, make sure you are dusting with calcium 5 days a wk but only 1 feeding a day and with vitamins the other 2 days a wk but only 1 feeding a day. When they reach about a yr old, then you would cut the calcium back to 2 to 3 days a wk and the vitamin to 1 day a wk.

Filling us in on your setup would help us make sure that everything is perfect. Unfortunately, there are some UVB bulbs that are useless and some even dangerous so that's why it's important to go over everything.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Do you know if it's a Repti-Sun or Repti-Glo? Is it a coil/compact or strip fluorescent tube? What distance do you have this particular bulb?

Grog2011

Tried another bath n massage n seperate massage...nada. Fed him a few more crickets some dusted (before we were doin three dusted, three non) with a couple dusted.

Our heat light and light are Zoo Med i believe and its i know its UVB coil and 60 watts i believe, ill look after i turn it off later and its about a foot and a half above his basking area. Heres a pic..

46733536.jpg

Grog2011

Oops, im wrong, it all there. Just had to scroll it over, this site isnt very mobile friendly thats why i say we needs us an app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom