New Beardie with eyes always closed&sleeping

Status
Not open for further replies.

FatalFramer

Hi i just got another beardie 3 days ago and she was doing fine the first day. Second day she started only blinking 1 eye while the other is open. Next day i come back from school and her brand new bulb had burned out and she was just sitting in her basking spot with no heat so i went and got her another bulb and 3 hours later she was just sleeping all day and shes just 4 months. she was very active till the day her bulb blew out for a few hours now she just sleeps all day.
She's in a 29g tank
Backing spot 88-90 (I just put to heat lamps on and now its 100)
Slimline fixture with the 5.0 bulb that comes with it
On carpet
Appreciate the help she will still have her eyes closed even in the bath with her head up and only opens them for a second while shes walking.

MrD

i would change to a reptisun 10.0 uvb tube. and make sure the basking area is far enough away from the light as being too close can cause irritation of the eyes. how long has she been only sleeping?

FatalFramer

Original Poster
Will do and she's been doing that since yesterday around 6:30 or 7:00. Since you said that now that I think about it a bought one of those stone cave hideouts yesterday with the bulb and she was sitting ontop of it as a basking spot then had her eyes closed on it like it is now.should I get rid of it? And what can I do to sooth her eyes if it's irritated?

MrD

if she can get very close to the light then you should take it out. and maybe find shorter one, but dont get rid of it as your beardie grows it going to need bigger terrarium so you can use it in the future. i would check out some eye products online im not sure if they help irritation from lights but its good to check. i like reptilesupply.com they have good stuff there

FatalFramer

Original Poster
Pics of how her eyes are. Shes awake but she still wont open here eyes she can even be perked up and wont open them. Her setup is at the bottom
11172011087.jpg

11172011088.jpg

11172011089.jpg

11172011090.jpg

FatalFramer

Original Poster
UPDATE: I saw a thread saying that you can use repti turtle eye drops and i happened to have a full bottle of that so i managed to get drops in each of her eye now she has them open and shes getting really active again :D

MrD

Awesome!!! maybe it was a microbacteria infection of the eyes. keep us updated on her recovery.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great news about using the turtle eye drops to help with her.
Have you turned off the Zilla slimline yet? If you have not turned the light off yet please go ahead & turn it off & just use the basking light right now.
The Reptisun 10 tube bulb is what you need to order. The site petmountain.com has great prices on the tube bulb.

I hope that she gets back to normal real soon!

Tracie

kimberlyK

Hello, I just purchased 2 baby beardie's and one of them is not opening it's eyes much if at all today and appears to be sleepy. I have them in a temporary cage (small hermit crab cage) until tonight. I had to leave the heat lamp on them all night and was told not having the red light was ok. They are both about 4" long. One is fine and thriving, but the other just sits way up on the perch all day today and hasn't eaten yet. I misted them with some water, but no reaction. What should I do? The bulb that I have in the temporary set up is 50 watt uva neodymium basking bulb. Last night I put the bulb all the way to the side and they have a little cave they can hide if needed.

Kim

kimberlyK

I also turned off the basking light for the past 2 hours. He is awake and moves when I come close, but quickly closes his eyes.

Halister

Juvie Member
Thug was doing the same thing. According to the vet (I called our vet). Beardies that are late summer born are getting messed up. They are young and growing full of viger but then the natrual brumation is hitting the 3 to 6 month babies right now so they act lazy because they are fighting it. He said the eye to eye thing is just trying to rest the eyes but not giving up whats going on so the side to side switch. Also he stated if they nap let them your fighting nature and you wont win, you will end up with a very grumpy beardie. My poor vet, he must think I have him on speed dial ha ha

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your little one doing today, any improvement on the eyes?
Did you get the Reptisun 10 tube bulb ordered yet? Please keep us posted on your dragon!

Tracie

FatalFramer

Original Poster
UPDATE
I have her slimline uvb turned off the whole day while i was at school but she stayed in her cave i guess so she wont strain her eyes more but they were closed when i got there. I just put her drops in again today now shes having them open longer instead of just being closed. When she first opened them yesterday i noticed she had a little red around half of her eyes does that sound like they hurt her? Shes a citrus german giant so it may just be her eye color. im wondering if when i bathe her if i should but reptisafe in her water only because it sounds like her eyes are a bit sensitive. I'll put another update later today when her drops settle in. Also i ordered the Reptisun 10.0 yesterday but ive been letting her sit in my other dragons cage with 2 reptisuns while hes taking a bathe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom