Head tilt/circling - update on Kora

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaskingBaby

Sub-Adult Member
I just wanted to update everyone on Kora's condition. I posted a thread in the ER a few weeks ago and since it doesn't seem to be an "emergency" anymore, I'm going to post here. If you need to read my previous post, it's here - viewtopic.php?f=45&t=155766

Kora has made no progress. Actually, she has gone downhill. She was on Baytril for about 14 days and showed no improvement and she stopped eating. She has gone up from 500g at the vet to 515g with me force feeding. We stopped treatment and now are just playing a waiting game to see what happens. The vet suggests trying some xrays and possibly a blood smear to see how many white blood cells are in her system. I will bring her into my work (an animal hosp) to get this done sometime this week.

She is being force fed a pellet bearded dragon diet which is made into a mash with some critical care mixed in and vitamins. She doesn't fight the force feeding at all and is actually getting a large amount into her. Her rear legs seem to be unaffected, but her front legs are severely compromised. Her whole body is curved to the right side. Her right leg is tucked in really tightly to her body and she doesn't like me to extend it. She is aware of it and will right it when it's put down the wrong way. Her left leg is usually fully extended and she has little to NO response when it is put down the wrong way. She will often leave it turned the wrong way. Her head can move some, but she doesn't like to move it. Mentally she is alert and looks up at me with her sweet little eyes. She knows what's going on around her. She's very content to sleep on me and be out of the cage.

Please keep her in your prayers. We have no idea what is causing this. She is the SWEETEST, most docile and friendly dragon I've ever known. She does programs with children at the YMCA, she is a bearded dragon ambassador and everyone loves her. If you have ANY ideas at all, please let me know. We have an exotic/reptile vet from Windcrest Animal Hospital and 3 of the vets at my animal hospital working on her case and we don't have any ideas other than stroke, virus, etc. Nothing is looking good for my girl :(

IMG_0580.jpg

IMG_0581.jpg

This is her constant position now, one leg extended, one retracted.

IMG_0582.jpg

IMG_0583.jpg

IMG_0585.jpg

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
I am sorry this is so sad. :cry:
She is a sweet girl and I was hoping everything was going to work out.
Please keep us up to date on her.

BaskingBaby

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardednoob":31cl4e1q said:

Thanks beardednoob. It really is sad, especially because she's alert mentally but probably confused about why her little body can't move the right way. It really sucks! :( Support from people on here sure helps though. A lot of my friends don't really "get" how upset someone can get over a reptile.

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Bearded dragons are not just a reptile though. Most people I work with are the same way.
No matter what just hang in there, she would need you to be strong. :wink:

McSkweeky

Juvie Member
She's beautiful! I read through some of your blog and got to know her a little better. You are both in my thoughts and I wish for a full recovery.

BaskingBaby

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Today's update is a slightly better one. I hope I'm not jumping the gun, but I swear she is stronger today and is moving BOTH her front legs! She is placing them correctly when they are turned down, and she's voluntarily moving them herself. They are still held strange - one is extended and one is tucked in. I think all my force feeding is paying off though...she's gobbling it down (she loves the slurry I make) and might be stronger because of it. I really think her whole body looks slightly less curved! Head tilt might be slightly better too? Keep the prayers coming guys. It just might be working :)

I did do some more research and I'm going to talk to the vets at work tomorrow. We might be able to try some anti-inflammatories or pain meds to see if that does anything. I'm open to try anything. Not sure if it's pain related, but it's worth a shot. Still haven't done xrays, it was VERY cold here this morning and I didn't want to bring her into work and have her be cold all day.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm really glad to hear about a slight improvement. I hope it continues....and I don't think she is in much pain, a beardie in pain almost always displays a black beard, and most will refuse food. Your girl has eaten throughout this ordeal , at least off and on. Keep it up Kora !

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is Kora doing?
Did the vet check into a possibility of a stroke? This has happened to several people that I have known & their dragon had a slight tilt like that & little to no reaction in one or more limbs in that manner.
Do you have a copy of the blood work?

Tracie

tanya1974

Hatchling Member
i am so sorry to hear about you lil girl. She is soooo lovely and really pritty. I really hope and pray she gets better soon hun. :cry:

Cath1068

BaskingBaby":1j79vily said:
Beardednoob":1j79vily said:

Thanks beardednoob. It really is sad, especially because she's alert mentally but probably confused about why her little body can't move the right way. It really sucks! :( Support from people on here sure helps though. A lot of my friends don't really "get" how upset someone can get over a reptile.

My two dragons are like my children and I am sooooooo in love with them. I am so sorry that your going thru this and I do hope and pray that she gets better. She is such a gorgeous girl !

BaskingBaby

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hey guys, very sorry I haven't updated recently. Thanks for the caring thoughts! They mean a lot. Kora might be doing SLIGHTLY better...she is able to move her front legs and gets around fairly well (going in circles clinging to the floor). She can definitely move around in her viv to her basking side/cool side. Right now it's just full of fleece and towels for her to cuddle with since she can't have climby things. She clings VERY close to the floor as if she'll fall.

I have a few more vets on her case now. We did xrays and had one of the vets at my work post them on her Facebook to share with other vets. They all think the most logical thing is inner ear infection. Bone density is great, everything else looks normal. Baytril had to effect, so we're going to try a different antibiotic I guess. Not sure which one yet, will try to discuss tomorrow at work. (Tracie - any suggestions? One that was recommended is called Amikacin?) I will post xrays on here soon, just verrrry busy lately.

OH!! On a good note, she's now eating on her own!! She's not totally pigging out like normal, but she ate about 10 superworms yesterday! She LOOOOOVES superworms...so it was very tempting for her ;) She didn't want any today though. So that's some progress!

HaleyMaree

Gray-bearded Member
I am glad she is feeling better! You are doing a great job making her feel safe and happier and better!

: )

~Haley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom