Calling Northern VA Dragon Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuzz

Winchester Va with the wave! You should be able to get greens at almost any grocey store you might have to look lil but you should be ok. You can find the roaches on here or craiglist.I got mine free with tote,egg crates,an they just keep comming have about 3000 now an a bunch happy Dragons!For crickets try your mom an pop pet stores they can order them for you 500/1000/1500 price is not to bad

HelloNewman

Gainesville/Haymarket here.

Bloom does a good job in carrying some of the mustard/dandelion greens. The others -- Teeter, Wegmans, Giant -- all carry the normal stuff such as Kale, Collard Greens, escarole, etc. I tried the frozen blocks of veggies -- thawed it out, dried it and determined that its not worth the effort. But they did love the squash.

I recently switched to Dubias...crickets jump too much, and I find them all over the house, plus they smell. I can hand pick the roaches i want to feed; I can't do that with crickets. Plus the roaches are "fatter" and have a greater meat vs shell ratio than the crickets (from my online research anyway). So in theory, 10 crickets = 5 roaches (or something like that). I still do mealworms (large) and yes crickets (when I have a Petsmart coupon for freebies).

My dubia supplier is Gregs Exotics Inverts and Philly Feeders. I'm starting my own colony but still need fresh dubias.

Anyway, nice to meet everyone.

Thanks,
Dave

NFM07

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
*waves* Thanks for the info on where to find food.

I was in the Haymarket Day Parade today. I was one of the ones on the horses if you were there.

Where did you all get your dragons from?

HelloNewman

NFM07":3qmoj30e said:
*waves* Thanks for the info on where to find food.

I was in the Haymarket Day Parade today. I was one of the ones on the horses if you were there.

Where did you all get your dragons from?

Hi NFM07 -- I was at H-Day too...I saw a whole calvary of horses, including the guy with the honor of cleaning up :) He seemed to be taking it very well. Aside from the sub-par weather (although I remember past H-Days being brutally hot) it was a nice turn out.

I got my beardies from PetSmart in Gainesville. I've gotten to know the mgr over the reptile dept and not that I'm an expert in reptile husbandry but they seem to genuinely care, have knowledge, and practice good husbandry.

Fyi, along with the roaches, I just started feeding them phoenix worms which is touted as reptile health food. I decided to switch to these guys from mealworms b/c I was finding whole mealworms in my beardies waste. Doing some more research I found that phoenix worms are high in Ca, low in phosphorus, and very little shell (that could cause impaction). They are small so if your order any, order the large, and get alot. I started with 400 went thru them within a week. I ordered a 1000 after that and so far its been @ 2 weeks. Even with shipping, they are cheaper than the PetSmart mealworms. No refrigeration is needed unless you think you'll have them for more than two weeks -- they will eventually turn into flies and the refrigeration helps slow that down.

http://www.phoenixworm.com/servlet/StoreFront

Thanks,
Dave

NFM07

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yep, that was us! I was the front left horse, the chestnut with a blaze. That was my first time there, cute area. I was impressed by the turn out for such a small parade. It was my horses first parade and he did such a good job, much better then I though he would since he is young.

Im planning to have their diet be mostly roaches and the phoenix worms mixed in. When they are older butters and wax here and there as treat. Of course with their veggies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom