Crickets!!!!!! How do you catch the things!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eli

Hi

Please can someone tell me how to catch crickets! Once they are in they seem to either disappear into the plants and come out when ruffled but how to get them out the viv I have no idea and so far have failed miserably and have crickets loarding it up in my lounge, and driving the dogs crazy.! :blob8:

Any ideas!
Thanks
Alison :blob5:

Rud3Bwoy

Sub-Adult Member
when i fed crickets i would remove everything in the viv

i have a 10 gal right now but i would imagine in bigger viv it is harder

i also had a pair of those thongs to catch them,it was a hassle,anyway i got off the crickets and doing dubias/phoneix/repti worms

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
Do you have a cricket keeper? Those are good with keeping those guys in and taking them out. It sounds like you're having problems with crickets escaping into your house? If so, just keep fresh foods off the floor and they should just die. If you're having problems with them in the viv, if your beardie is small, you can try to partition off a section of the viv that's more bare so that the beardie has an easier time catching them and you have an easier time keeping up with them to take them out again later.

One way to get them out of the container is to use a paper towel roll. They can crawl in there, and you can shake them into the viv.

coastergirl946

Hatchling Member
Put out a little pile of cricket food. When they come running, slam a cup or a tupperware container down over them and then slide a sheet of paper underneath, then flip the whole thing over really fast. ;)

trinity040400

Juvie Member
I would take everything out the the cage before I feed them to my dragon so they would have no place to hid. Any left overs I would either pick up with chop sticks or with a gloved hand.

P.s. If anyone didnt know crickets do bite, I learned this the hard way thats why I use gloves.

Eli

Original Poster
These are all great suggestions so thanks for that. We still have rouge crickets in the lounge but its better than them being in the viv all night!! We have brought him another tank to be fed in with no decoartion in so no more risk of the little fella being nibbled !!!! :p

Nixiemaiden

Hatchling Member
I got a small cricket keeper which wasn't really functional...the big cricket keepers are functional though for our large crickets. I ended up buying a large critter keeper and I put one of the tubes from the small cricket keeper inside of it. When it is feeding time, I dump whatever is in the tube in to his bin. If there are crickets left in his bin when he is done, I put the cricket keeper tube in the bin and start harassing the crickets until they seek refuge in the tube...then I just dump the crickets back into the critter keeper and leave the tube in there. What I like about these tubes that come with the cricket keepers is that one end is covered with a clear plastic cover so you don't have to worry about them jumping out the back.

MrWhite

Sub-Adult Member
this is how I avoid crickets hiding in my viv issue:

I put a bunch of crickets(10 to 20) in a petco cricket plastic bag, I lightly shake the bag in front of Argos to get him interested in eating crickets. I then shake out one at a time in front of him and he eats them as they drop. Sometimes, he doesn't wait for them to drop and eats them right out of the plastic bag(i don't actually like him doing this, sometimes he actually grabs the bag by accident). when he becomes less interested in eating, I stop feeding him. When Argos becomes less interested in eating, I just play air hockey with the last cricket until he eats the last one.

I usually know roughly how many he will eat and will stop feeding him before he become uninterested and will switch to giving him 3 to 5 supers to top him off.

This is just my method, it's not perfect and is a little time consuming but it works for me.

My wife, on the other hand, will load up 10 to 15 crickets at a time and dump them all in at once... Argos will chase then down but a lot of crickets will have enough time to hide in the viv furniture, then I have to find them all later and put them back in the cricket container :roll: What's funny is the look on Argos' face when the crickets come out from hiding after lights out. He'll open his eyes and give me that looks like "sigh...I'm trying to sleep here!!!" :wink:

kjinxx2

Sub-Adult Member
I have a ceramic cup that's about 1 inch tall that i put the crickets in and I shake them around in it so they don't jump, Picasso then sees them and runs over to the cup, i just hold the cup at an angle and he eats straight from it, the only crickets that get out are the ones that crawl up his arms :p And yes, they're a pain to get out, usually I just get annoyed an smoosh the escapee.

EmilyRussom

Juvie Member
I just feed Tiki in a separate enclosure so I don't have to worry about it, LOL. Too tall for them to jump out, so if she doesn't eat some (THAT'S never happened) they can be stuffed back into the cricket keeper!

zooeymama

Hatchling Member
I use a kid bug vacuum (no joke works awesome) to suck them up (both for feeding and clean up when he's done).
http://www.amazon.com/Summit-Backyard-Safari-Vacuum-Lazer/dp/B0046LVS2S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1316210023&sr=8-2
I feed in a small plastic tank (inexpensive at Petco and I went for small so he didn't have to run around too crazy after the suckers). Nikko gets placed in first. Then I pop the whole front vacuum piece off (it's removable) and one end is netted and the other is the long tube the sucks the insect up and has a knob (attached to the piece with the netting tho) to twist to close a little trap door. Well I pull the tube off the secondary netted piece and shake the calcium/vitamin powder into the netting part and roll the crickets around until they are coated. And then open the 'trap door' over the feeder tank and they all fall in and Nikko goes nuts eating them up.

After he is done eating, I remove him from the tank. And then tip the tank to one corner- all the crickets fall to one corner and I suck them right up and go drop them back in the tub. :)

EmilyRussom":10xdzfro said:
I just feed Tiki in a separate enclosure so I don't have to worry about it, LOL. Too tall for them to jump out, so if she doesn't eat some (THAT'S never happened) they can be stuffed back into the cricket keeper!

That's what I do with Tank!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pooper
Top Bottom