Digging in corner? (Updated with pic to determine sex)

Status
Not open for further replies.

scistar11

I've noticed today that Lestat has been digging like crazy in one of his corners. I'm not sure why. He'll be basking on his branch, jump down to the floor, and head straight for the corner where he just digs rapidly. I have tile flooring and the corner he digs in is also where his salad dish is located. He shoves his salad out of the way to get to this corner. Then he jumps back up to bask and then comes back down minutes later to dig again. I've also noticed that he seems very active in general today. He spends a lot more time looking out into the room to see what we're all doing. He walks up to the glass and paces back and forth as if he wants out. I've held him a few times and am going to be giving him a bath today too. He's shedding his back right now. He doesn't seem unhappy or anything like that. Quite the opposite. Not grumpy at all. Just very active, particularly with the digging. His appetite is also noticeably larger today. Usually I have to remove crickets by the handful but today he has eaten every single thing I've given him. Is this all normal behavior?

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Yes and no. What is his basking temp? Did it spike at all today or anything abnormal with his temps? Dragons sometimes will just dig, if Ifrit goes in his brumation box, he will dig at it. So that is where the yes is at, the no comes from the possibility that the temps may have been too hot for him and he is trying to dig to a cooler spot. Their minds can get distracted easily and may react off impulse or a sudden thought. Possibly *bask*....*too hot (dig)*.... *bask* .... this could have been his circle of thoughts/instincts whatever you might want to call them. Otherwise it may have been *bask*.... (energy) ROAR! *dig*...

Just a curious thought, I am no way doubting your dragon knowledge but, who sexed the dragon? anyway for picture depicting gender?

scistar11

Original Poster
It's possible it could have been too hot, but I'm not sure. We keep the house temp at 76 degrees, but his basking spot is about 100 degrees. The cooler side is a constant 85 degrees. He seems pretty comfortable. I haven't seen him digging like this again until this evening. A couple minutes after his lights turned off, he went over to his cave where it's pretty dark and he started digging like crazy nonstop. I got him and held him for a minute to make sure he was okay. I put him back up on his tree branch b/c that's where he's been sleeping every night since I got him. He got off of his branch and hopped up on his hammock where he is now sleeping comfortably.

The breeder is the one who told me Lestat was a boy. She said she wasn't 100% positive but was about 99% sure he was a boy. She showed me under his tail and pointed out a bump which she said makes her think he's a boy. I've taken some pics tonight of what he looks like in that area. Maybe you can figure out if he's really a boy or possibly a girl. Also, he's 4.5 months old right now. If he turns out to be a girl, is that too young to be nesting to lay eggs? Do they lay eggs even if they haven't mated? I don't know much about brumation, but would certainly appreciate any information you can provide me on what it is and what I need to do to make sure Lestat has what he needs to do it..... or you could point me in the direction where I can find that information. Thanks for your help!!

scistar11

Original Poster
Sorry.... here's the picture.

sexing.jpg

mikimom07

oh duh!! Sorry lack of sleep from sick baby. :puke: :puke: Got my parts confused. But now I'm second guessing myself and will have to check my girls in the morning when they wake up to make sure. LOL :oops:

scistar11

Original Poster
Meowser":1k539ogh said:
Two bumps is a male,
one bump is a female

He does have what looks like two bumps on the top. Is that what I'm looking for to confirm male? I notice the one bump on the bottom too though.

Eadig

Juvie Member
yeah, you gotta dude there.

someone said on my thread that it could be an over heating or dehydration issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom