How many crickets should i feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missmissy

I got a baby dragon and they told me 6 crickets a week with veggies and pellets. However everytime a bug flies near his tank he jumps at the glass... he still seems hungry! Should i feed him till he eats no more?? I am lost at hoe much to feed him?

Nixiemaiden

Hatchling Member
6 is not enough. Babies can eat up to 50 a day. I am not sure if you supplement with pellets but I would think it would be better to have more crickets and less pellets.

What I usually do with my baby is I put about 20 small crickets dusted with calcium powder into a feeding tank and I let him go at it for about 15 mins. If he runs out before time is up, I will add some more crickets. If he starts insanely glass dancing before time is up, I will put him back in his own tank.

I do this twice a day. He usually eats about 10 crickets around noon time and then 20-25 around dinner time. Every day.

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
Let him eat as many crickets as he wants in 10-15 minutes, given that they are no bigger than the space between his eyes. If you just got him, it may be that he won't eat very much, since he's still getting used to the flow of his new life, but he eventually should get up to eating upward of 40 a day. Petstores tend to be misinformed or worried about their bottom line more than anything. I would stop with the pellets, and feed exclusively live feeders and fresh veggies.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
No, you should be feeding babies as many as they can eat in a 10-15 minute time span, 2 to three times a day.

That can easily equal over 50 crickets a day.

-Brandon

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
In the end it's up to you to decide how you want to feed your beardie. I've read a member's post about how she tried to portion control her baby/juvie's food, and it ended up stunted. I know how much I ate when I was going through growth spurts, so I tend to let my beardie gorge if he wants to in the time allotted. Most times though, he's done a couple minutes in.

spikeithard

Hatchling Member
Im going to try the feeding pen. unload like 15-20 crickets in a big box and let my dragon go to town for a few minutes.

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Crickets are great but, a varied diet will help your dragon in the long run.
Thor will easily eat 40 three week crickets in 10 minutes. 2- 3 times a day. How did the feeding pen go?

spikeithard

Hatchling Member
going to start it tomorrow... Im going to stick with about 25 crickets a day plus a constant plate of greens and such to munch on.

wouldnt the feeding pen stress the little guy out? I mean I wouldnt want 25 or so chickens running around me at supper time lol

I would think it would be over whelming to it? no? or they dont give a crap and love all the meat

spikeithard

Hatchling Member
spikeithard":13etqc14 said:
going to start it tomorrow... Im going to stick with about 25 crickets a day plus a constant plate of greens and such to munch on.

wouldnt the feeding pen stress the little guy out? I mean I wouldnt want 25 or so chickens running around me at supper time lol

I would think it would be over whelming to it? no? or they dont give a crap and love all the meat

OK,, that was bad!

Two things happened that suck. 1) I used a big cardboard box - apparently crickets CAN climb that stuff! so I had to constantly keep knocking them back down to the bottom when they got to the top.

and 2. My little guy went after about 4 or 5 crickets right away then seemed to stop and panic. like he was getting overwhelmed by all the crickets in there and I only maybe put 25 in there?

Seemed fine for about 30 seconds then after that let the crickets climb all over him and seemed more concerned about clawing away at the cardboard box :(

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Actually, 25 crickets is a lot to start out with and can be scary as well as overwhelming to them. I would start out with 1/2 dozen, when those are gone, you can just add more. Also, if you want to slow the crickets down so that they aren't so jumpy, you can put the 1/2 dozen in a ziploc bag and place in the frig for a minute or so, that will make them easier for him to catch.

spikeithard

Hatchling Member
diamc":1jqtxp7w said:
Actually, 25 crickets is a lot to start out with and can be scary as well as overwhelming to them. I would start out with 1/2 dozen, when those are gone, you can just add more. Also, if you want to slow the crickets down so that they aren't so jumpy, you can put the 1/2 dozen in a ziploc bag and place in the frig for a minute or so, that will make them easier for him to catch.
thanks.. i will try the cold method. I put some packing tape in the box. they cant climb out now!

and i put about 12-15 in there and my dragon was slow to get 3 or so then started to panic attack on the walls. errrrrrr

I will try 5 then, 5. then again a few hours later, 5 then 5 at a time. and they are 3/8 size cricks

spikeithard

Hatchling Member
I dont get it. Even with like 5 crickets in a 2.5 foot by 1.5 foot box , my dragon gets almost scared of the crickets. she has no problem at all when in her tank though. Im trying to get her used to the feeding box because I use sand and have a exoterra fake rock wall and the crickets love that wall.

anyone else have a hard time at first with the seperate feeding box?

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
It takes some adjusting, just like when you first put them in a new enclosure. If you keep at it, she may learn that it's just where she goes for feeding and get used to it. I've never used the feeding tank before, and when Darwin was smaller, I used to use cardboard to block off half his tank before I put crickets in, so that he didn't have to chase too hard, and I could keep an eye on the crickets to make sure none escape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom