How many crickets should bearded dragon eat a day

Status
Not open for further replies.

laxitup

I have a juvenile and right now im feed him around 10-15 crickets a day, but the people at the pet store always tell me you should only give them 3-4 but no more than 6. I've heard the the people at the pet store are constantly giving false information but i just wasnt sure. Thanks!

saden99

Mine is a baby at 3 inches (not measuring tail) and she eats about 11-15 per day at the moment (she is in a new environment for the past 3 days now). From what I understand Juveniles should be at around 30-50 crickets a day. No more than 6 crickets? Maybe I'm crazy....

Edit: Wanted to add that you can supplement vegetables for some crickets also. Just make sure that you know how much water your dragon is getting since veggies tend to contain quite a bit, but crickets+veggies throughout the day seems good.

EmilyRussom

Juvie Member
Every dragon is different. I hear that babies should eat betwen 70-100 small crickets per day. My girl is a bit over a year, and she will devour 30-40 medium crickets per day.

As far as salads go - give them as much as they want - it's a SALAD. It won't hurt a freaking thing.

Go by the time rule - not the quantity. Give them around 10 minutes. Plus or minus. If they can eat what is put in front of them within a time period of 10 minutes, go for it. Dragons aren't dogs - they won't gorge themselves (so far as I have been informed from the more knowledgeable posters on this site).

If they are hungry, let them eat :)

As a side note - my girl was a rescue and malnourished. She may have more of an appetite than a normal one year old.

laxitup

Original Poster
Okay thank you guys very much! and yes i've been providing him fresh mustard greens throughout the day.

trinity040400

Juvie Member
My toru is about 4-6 months (we think :roll: ) and she eats 30 crickets a day easly. Pet stores are stupid, dont listen to what they say, they like to make it sound like they dont eat alot so people will buy them. :angry5: I'm sure there may be a few good ones out there but from what I have seen over the years with many different animals most don't have a clue what they are talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom