Bearded Dragon Possible Yellow Fungus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have two bearded dragons, Reptar and Chomper and they are about 7 months old. Chomper is much bigger than Reptar but I figured it might have something to do with the fact that Chomper is the more dominate one and tends to eat more. Recently I've noticed Reptar's leg is yellow. I made an appointment with a vet to have him checked out but he can't see him until Friday. I've noticed that now the top of his leg seems to be turning gray now and seems bigger than his other leg. I will post some pictures I took the other day and if anyone has an idea of what this might be, I will greatly appreciate it.

reptarleg2.jpg

reptarleg.jpg

reptarchomper.jpg

The last one is to show their size difference.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That doesn't look good.

Are you housing them together?

You need to separate them immediately if you are because yellow fungus is contagious.
While i'm not 100% sure its yellow fungus, it looks like there is a very good chance it is.

-Brandon

ReptarAndChomper11

Original Poster
Well we went to the vet and he said it was yellow fungus and so we separated the dragons and cleaned everything really well to try and get rid of it. Also, the doc gave us medicine for the both of them just incase Chomper has it too and we don't know about it yet. Hoping everything turns out well and my babies are back to normal. :D

Cammy

Hello, ReptarAndChomper11. Did your vet determine if the fungus was present internally or did he just prescribe an oral antifungal to go ahead and treat them internally just in case? What is the name of the medication they are on? The reason I'm asking is that a lot of oral antifungal medications can be very harsh on reptiles internally. It is usually good to supplement with acidophilus to make up for the loss of "good gut fauna" which is inevitable with common internal medications. Also, you mentioned medication, but was any topical antifungal prescribed? Even a very thorough cleaning won't do the trick. You need to treat the external fungus which is present on the animal or it isn't going to go away. You can use something like a thin layer of Lamisil antifungal ointment applied to the fungal patches 1-2 times a day. Electrolyte soaks are also very helpful for both keeping the beardies' energy up and for helping with the external fungus. Something like Nutrilyte or CeraVet electrolyte powder is great, but even unflavored pedialyte is fine. Yellow Fungus can be very difficult to treat and will take a lot of dedication to get rid of. Good luck to you and let us know if you have any questions. :)

EmilyRussom

Juvie Member
Best of luck and massive well wishes to Reptar and Chomper - truly. Please, let us all know how they are both doing!

scubasteve25

Juvie Member
seems like we are both battling fungus, my beardies leg looked almost exactly like yours, a couple days ago a spot came up on her tail, then next day a spot on her vent, then next day a spot on her side. lamisil and betadine baths is all i have at my disposal right now, taking her to the vet just isnt in the cards, we took her a while back when we first noticed it and the vet said it was nothing to be concerned about he said it was "scar tissue" and now it is worse and i cant afford to go to the vet again, people wonder why i dont trust dr's

Cammy

Steve: The lamisil and betadine should take care of the external fungus. You could try a combination of grapefruit seed extract, liquid echinacea, and acidophilus to try and help keep the internal fungus down, at least until you can afford to see a better vet. And obviously sanitize the crap out of the enclosure on a daily basis to prevent reinfection from her own case.

ReptarAndChomper11

Original Poster
Hi everyone!
I apologize for my absence, my computer got a virus while I was searching for custom made enclosures. :x Anyhow, Reptar seems to be doing better, he has shed since he has been on this medicine and it away went the yellow on his leg. (He shed a couple times before that but the yellow stayed) He is back to eating regularly (but only wants dusted crickets or roaches, won't eat crickets unless they are dusted, silly boy) and is active again. Although, he does seems to be moving alittle weirdly, kinda like a little jump here and there but I'm not terribly concerned. I'm just happy he is doing better. He also seems to be putting a little weight on since he has been in his own enclosure. Thanks everyone for your concern and I'll keep you posted if anything else happens. Here's to a happy future for the little man! :D

As he was shedding. Looks better right? :)
reptar.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom