Calling Northern VA Dragon Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

NFM07

Hatchling Member
I am not sure how many people live in the NOVA area that are on here but I am hoping there are at least a few. I am looking into getting a beardie soon and I would like to know where you guys get your beardie food. I was looking in my local bloom for mustard greens, was told most beardies love them, however I did not see any. Do any of you know where I would be able to find some? Also do you know of any pet stores that have good sized crickets or offer silkworms? I plan to buy from a breeder in Maryland but I want to make sure I know where I can find everything. Any help would be great.

Thank you!

Mama2an

Have you tried Wegmans? I'm in Stafford and go to the Wegmans in Fredericksburg and they usually have mustard, collard, escarole, and dandelion greens. I know there is a Wegmans in Woodbridge and they should have a similar selection.

No clue about silkworms or crickets we are about out of the crickets we got the reptile show in Manassas last weekend and I think we will try some Dubia.
Erin

NFM07

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Good idea! Never even thought about going there. Yeah we went to the show also, that's what started this need for a beardie. We were talking to the guy with beardies, right side of the left row toward the back.

Nicole

Mama2an

Is he the breeder in MD? We bought ours from the guys at the table across from the books, we were just looking to find a local breeder and get one after we go camping next week but everyone we asked was from PA. I finally gave up and let my daughter pick one :D Now we are asking our friends to baby sit.

NFM07

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yes that is him. I have his card. He was the most helpful and answered all my questions without making it seem like I was wasting his time. That to me is a big selling point, the breeder across from the books but did not offer me the same amount of answers and I felt like I was wasting his time. There was only one other one I saw but he had very few and we did not like any that we saw so I did not bother asking him anything since it would have been a waste of his time. All of the MD breeders beardies were very willing to be picked up and messed with, my husband and friend decided to pile them all on top of each other in their hand and all the babies were just chill with it.

Mama2an

We went around a couple of times and it seemed like no one wanted to answer questions except the mother/son trying to sell the adult pair. After we went around and ruled out the few adults, my daughter decided she liked this one the best.

I just ordered the Dubia and they should be here Tuesday so I'll let you know how it goes!

NFM07

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hmmm maybe its because my husband and I are younger and that was why we were not getting the answers. Who did you order the Dubia from? I dont mind crickets and the worms dont bother me but the beetle thing creeps me out.

Mama2an

The woman with the snakes was great she showed my son several of the snakes too bad we are not getting one till he is old enough to feed it :D

I ordered the Dubia from www.doodlebugscritters.com Debbie was great to work with. I'm okay with the crickets but I hate the smell and our baby doesn't seem too interested in the crickets he will only eat some but not much... We've never tried worms, I think I'll try some Reptiworms if the Dubia don't work out.

NFM07

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The snake people there tend to be good. Two of our snakes are from that show, the other from a breeder in NC. How old is your son? Feeding is not hard with f/t (better for the snake). I was not aware that crickets have a smell... hmmmmm still not sure I could do the beetle thing maybe that will be the husband's part in this.

Mama2an

He is only 5 so we have a while:) He wants a hypo cornsnake. I'm okay with when they are small and eating frozen pinkies/fuzzies or whatever the small ones are called its the larger frozen things...
I'm not sure how noticeable the smell is to others but keeping a tub full of them grosses me out even with lots of ventilation.

NFM07

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ahhh yes maybe a little young. Cornsnakes are great first snakes and come in so many colors. cornsnakes.net is a great place to see the coloring. cornsnakes.com is much like this place and where I learned everything I know about corns. If you want something that stays small, hognoses stay small and dont eat more then fuzzies I think.

EShell

Hatchling Member
A lot of veggies are sorta seasonal, and you'll find certain types plentiful at some times and not others.

I have three BDs and raise my own Dubia. I can't imagine buying crix for several full grown BDs and the Dubia are cheap & easy to raise. I still buy a few crix for some scorps and a fishing spider, but the BDs get all veggies and Dubia anymore.

I am living part time near Lake Anna and part time in central MD. If you want enough Dubia to get a modest colony going, let me know and we'll see about dropping some off on my way past sometime.

NFM07

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
EShell":spphragq said:
A lot of veggies are sorta seasonal, and you'll find certain types plentiful at some times and not others.

I have three BDs and raise my own Dubia. I can't imagine buying crix for several full grown BDs and the Dubia are cheap & easy to raise. I still buy a few crix for some scorps and a fishing spider, but the BDs get all veggies and Dubia anymore.

I am living part time near Lake Anna and part time in central MD. If you want enough Dubia to get a modest colony going, let me know and we'll see about dropping some off on my way past sometime.

That would be amazing! My husband said he would be willing to take care of that part until I decide Im able to. What kind of care and set up do they need?

Mama2an

I love the dubia! Our baby has eaten about 10 and is wanting more. I had to search here to see if there was a limit on how many he should eat before giving him any more.

EShell if you want some crickets I have some to get rid of :D only about 50 so not really worth it unless you are driving by.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom