Broken back HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangosclan

Hatchling Member
I don't know if anyone remembers me, but i have two beardies blackbeard and Tiamat, and Tiamat fell last thursday evening when he tried to jump from my hand to my shirt (his favorite game i've tried to make him stop doing) and he hit the floor and broke his back. He cannot use his back legs at all and hasn't pooped or eaten in two days. does anyone have any suggestions on what we can do, vet said he'll probably just die and we should have him put to sleep but he is still crawling around and trying to be his old self. PLEASE I NEED HELP I DON'T WANT TO LOSE MY BABY!!!!!

MissT

BD.org Addict
Do you have a picture?

There used to be a member here who had a beardie with a broken back. I will see if I can find any info.

MissT

BD.org Addict
I meant to ask, did the vet do an x-ray to determine it is broken? Did he give any pain killers?

mellu

Juvie Member
Oh wow:(, I certainly remember you and Tiamat. Did you have xrays done to make sure his spine was actually broken/fractured? I'm hoping it's soft tissue damage or something and he's just having trouble because of soreness -crosses fingers-. Good luck, hun.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, that is what I am wondering. Did the vet do any x-ray? If not, you really can't determine if he broke his back.
Normally, they don't break their backs as they don't have any discs in between their vertebrae. What has most likely happened is that the vertebrae has slipped over another, causing swelling & pain in the immediate area on & or around the spinal column. That will press on the nerves making it impossible, or very painful to use the back legs.
Do you see any swelling yet, or is his tail tip black?

Tracie

rangosclan

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
sorry ive been running crazy all day from one place to another. I dont currently have any way to post pics right now. We dont have the money for a vet visit right now (makes me a bad mommy i know) but we have a friend who is a herp and has raised/treated bearded dragons for years. His professional opinion is that by looking at it externally it looks like a break (it looks like an upside down just above the hips.) T has finally pooped and eaten for the first time today since it happened which excited me greatly. He seems to have more movement control over his tail which hes using to facilitate movement and we were told that he may not have a broken spine and that he may be lucky enough to regain partial or full use of his legs. Any additional info you guys can offer is greatly appreciated and thank you all for the well wishes.

rangosclan

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
swelling yes in the lower stomach area. Tail tip isnt black. I hope its overlapped vertebre. Is there a "fix" for that? And painkillers are a no.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing tonight?
So you do see some swelling right now?
I hope nothing is broken. It is most likely a bad sprain but it will take some time to heal up though. At least the tip of his tail is not dark right now.
You can soak him in a daily warm bath to help him with pain management. Metacam is a good anti-inflammatory to use for him with his injury.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

rangosclan

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He is doing better today. He doesn't seem to be in any pain unless he tries to climb on something, so we took all of his climbing material out and added an extra heat lamp to make sure he is staying warm enough. He's eaten again today a little bit. what does it mean if his tail tip turns black? Right now we are taking it day by day, so hopefully it will heal and he can have use of his back legs back. Thanks again everybody! I really love you guys!

ChuckA

Hatchling Member
rangosclan":13o2ny6m said:
He is doing better today. He doesn't seem to be in any pain unless he tries to climb on something, so we took all of his climbing material out and added an extra heat lamp to make sure he is staying warm enough. He's eaten again today a little bit. what does it mean if his tail tip turns black? Right now we are taking it day by day, so hopefully it will heal and he can have use of his back legs back. Thanks again everybody! I really love you guys!
Glad to hear , sending you and your beardie good thoughts
Get Well Soon

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great, that is always recommended to take out any climbing apparatus from the tank so he can't hurt himself further.
I hope he is doing better today. Just give him some time to heal up & hopefully he will eventually regain the use of his back legs as soon as any swelling goes down.
At least he doesn't seem to be stressed or in pain right now.

Tracie

WyattKB

Hatchling Member
im so sorry D: thats horrible... i feel so sorry for you and your beardie. u guys can pull through!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom