Baby dragon out of the egg too soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbranham

One of my customers brought me eggs a couple of months ago and they have all been going bad. I had 3 left and I went to cut one open to see if it ws fertile and a little baby dragon and the egg sac fell out of the egg onto the vermiculite. Is there anything I can do to save it? I feel terrible.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
There is no need to cut a dragon egg.
Shine a bright flashlight on it and you will know its fertile.
The dragon may not make it being out of the egg to soon. How old are the eggs? This will let me know how far along the baby developed.

cbranham

Original Poster
They will be 60 days tomorrow. We looked and they did not looked fertilized. I cut them open just to see if there was anything in there. I was not expecting a baby to come out. The egg was all dented and starting to turn a greenish color. All of the other eggs that I opened did not have anything in them.

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
You're not supposed to cut dragon eggs. They will hatch when they're ready and if they don't hatch it wasn't meant to be. :?

cbranham

Original Poster
We thought they were all bad, so I was just curious to see what was inside of them. I did not think there was anything in them. I wasn't trying to hatch them early or anything. I feel horrible!!

cbranham

Original Poster
I put it back in the incubator right away. I left it at the same temperature I had the eggs at. I just don't know if it will be ok on the vermiculite.

Gail

BD.org Addict
I'd leave it in the incubator in a small contain with a slightly damp paper towel. You don't want the egg yolk to dry out, besides that all you can do it wait. Its doesn't need water at this point.

cbranham

Original Poster
As of last night, the baby was still in squished up in a clear sac and all of the yolk looked good. There was something moving in and out that looked like a heart beat, but I didn't see any other movement. I put the baby on a paper towel in my container and removed any stuck on vermiculite. I put it back in the incubator with the vermiculite in another container to add some humidity. I didn't think about putting a wet paper towel in with it. Thanks for all of your help. As soon as I get to the store this morning, I will let you know how he/she is doing. I am keeping my fingers crossed, but my hopes are not very high. If it lives, I will probably return it to my customer and see what they would like to do with the baby. I don't want to get their hopes up yet since they have little kids. Thanks again.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree with Tom, I give him/her a 50/50 shot.
Do you have any pictures? I am just curious what it is looking like?
Keep us posted on the little one.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom