HEATING (LIGHTS AT NIGHT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just set up my vivarium for my bearded dragon which I am getting tomorrow :D
Do I turn off the lights at night? If so, where will the heat source come from? Because the pack I got the cage with, didn't come with a heat rock/mat.
Reply asap would be awesome as I want my home to be perfect for Marcus :)
Laura x

Screamin99

Juvie Member
I would be curious to see what "Pack" you got.. Your bearded dragon depending on size can be housed in a 10-20gallon sized tank/viv until they are generally around 9-15 months old then you would need nothing less than a 40 gallon breeder sized tank. 36x18x16 would be the rough dimensions for a 40gallon breeder tank. As for your question on lights, Yes you turn the lights off at night. Just like people animals don't sleep well with a bright light shining in their eyes! Dragons actually have whats called a "Parietal Eye" which helps them determine night from day. If any light is visible to this their third eye then they cannot sleep soundly.

So keep all lights off at night and you should be good, not even a "night bulb" or a colored bulb should be used at night as it still disturbs their sleeping habits. Your night time temps should not fall below 60* F in your dragons cage. So the use of your digital probe style thermometer (wal-mart for $10.00) will tell you if your temps are too low. IF infact your temps do get too low you should turn to the use of a Ceramic Heat Emitter The wattage you use will depend upon distance and the actual temperature inside the home. I use a 75watt in the winter just as a precaution mostly.

You shouldn't use a heat rock as these can overheat and burn the belly of your dragon resulting in death.

What UVB bulb are you using and what are you using for a basking light?

lauraisnotagiraffe

Original Poster
In the pack I got from Pets at Home (I'm from the UK) which came with the tank (44x18x18) basking light and the other necessary lights which I have checked are suitable. So if I have to turn off the lights at night, how will the tank be kept warm enough during the night without any other heat source?
Laura x

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
lauraisnotagiraffe":9tryavkt said:
In the pack I got from Pets at Home (I'm from the UK) which came with the tank (44x18x18) basking light and the other necessary lights which I have checked are suitable. So if I have to turn off the lights at night, how will the tank be kept warm enough during the night without any other heat source?
Laura x

I'm from the UK too and have found the temps to stay around 70+ at night with this warmer weather. Temps at night should be between 65-70F. In winter i use a ceramic heat emitter linked to a habitat thermostat so i can set temp to stay at 70F during the night http://www.exotic-pets.co.uk/habistat-thermostat.html. The ceramic heat emitter only gives off heat and no light. I get my live food from pets at home- don't listen to their advice on beardies, i have heard them tell customers wrong advice which can be detremental to a beardies health. In your set up you should have a basking light and a UVB tube bulb that is at least 3/4 the length of the viv- the repti glo they sell at pets at home is no good and coils and compact UVBs are also bad- what UVB have you got? I get the arcadia 12% UVB from http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/product.php?productid=29039&cat=0&page=1 As screamin99 said you'll need a digital thermometer with probe to make sure temps are 110F basking area, 90-100 hot end and 75-85 cool end during the day- stick on thermometers don't give accurate readings.

lauraisnotagiraffe

Original Poster
The basking light is a 'sun glow basking light' and I also have 2 x 30 W lights, I'm not sure because my Dad helped set up and he is better at all the lighting things. I am sure that they are suitable as I have done a lot of research into it as they are very expensive.
What temp is that in Celsius?

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
lauraisnotagiraffe":1q85ula5 said:
The basking light is a 'sun glow basking light' and I also have 2 x 30 W lights, I'm not sure because my Dad helped set up and he is better at all the lighting things. I am sure that they are suitable as I have done a lot of research into it as they are very expensive.
What temp is that in Celsius?

You'll need to check with your dad if you have a UVB light- doesn't sound like you have. A good UVB light is essential for their health: the UVB is a long white/bluish type light like mine pictured:

Ceramic bulb (middle) arcadia 12% UVB tube (accross back) sun glo basking bulb (right)
DSCF0039-1.jpg

110 f = 43c
90f = 32c
75f = 24c
85f = 29c (i've converted to farenhite as this site is mainly people from USA lol)

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
lauraisnotagiraffe":2rzt3i50 said:
Yeaaah! I have both of them! I have two of the long ones, and one of the big (basking) lamps :) x

excellent, sounds like your sorted. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom