Lighting Help for Newbies (:

Jess

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Hi!
Yup, you're right about the D3.

Well, like I mentioned before, I've never used MVBs so I don't know as much about them. But the two main reasons I recommended the RertiSuns are that the MVBs have been having some issues... (Check out these threads: http://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=124451 http://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=105630http://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=127476http://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=121986 )
... And because, IMO, they are a little more complicated than the ReptiSuns. For example, MVBs must be used in cages that are at least 40 gallons or larger, the need to be at least 18" away from the beardie, and some of them can't be mounted at an angle.
ReptiSuns can be used in any size cage, and the only stipulation with them is that they should be between 6-10" away from the basking spot, and that you should also have a bright white light to put along side it.
So many newbies would probably find the ReptiSun a little more simple to set up, and it would apply to more caging situations. :wink:
If the Powersun is indeed safe though, like Cheryl said, then go ahead and use it. I just wanted to explain why I used the ReptiSun as a lighting example in this thread.

TASTIGER

Extreme Poster
Jess4921":z6qc6zqg said:
Hi!
Yup, you're right about the D3.

Well, like I mentioned before, I've never used MVBs so I don't know as much about them. But the two main reasons I recommended the RertiSuns are that the MVBs have been having some issues... (Check out these threads: http://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=124451 http://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=105630http://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=127476http://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=121986 )
... And because, IMO, they are a little more complicated than the ReptiSuns. For example, MVBs must be used in cages that are at least 40 gallons or larger, the need to be at least 18" away from the beardie, and some of them can't be mounted at an angle.
ReptiSuns can be used in any size cage, and the only stipulation with them is that they should be between 6-10" away from the basking spot, and that you should also have a bright white light to put along side it.
So many newbies would probably find the ReptiSun a little more simple to set up, and it would apply to more caging situations. :wink:
If the Powersun is indeed safe though, like Cheryl said, then go ahead and use it. I just wanted to explain why I used the ReptiSun as a lighting example in this thread.

that is why i use the reptisun when i was using a MVB the tank got way to hot so they didnt want to bask under it

Jess

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Yeah, because of the way my cage is set up there is no way I could use a MVB. Dudley would be toast, even with a 100 watt Powersun. I just think that the RpetiSuns are a little more fool-proof than MVBs are.

Jess

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
It's a 24". It's best to have a UVB that is about 2/3 the length of your tank, so they can get out of the UVB if they need to. If you do go with one that is the length of your tank, make sure your beardie has a hide so she can escape the UVB when she feels that she has had enough.

Jess4921":2ntrag1x said:
It's a 24". It's best to have a UVB that is about 2/3 the length of your tank, so they can get out of the UVB if they need to. If you do go with one that is the length of your tank, make sure your beardie has a hide so she can escape the UVB when she feels that she has had enough.

I guess I could do that. Her hide is extremely large and can fit a small dog in it.

littlesavedgirl

Hatchling Member
I now have a 26 inch by 12 wide viv for baby Penny and a red heat light 75 and a 18 inch Zilla UVB floresant light. I'm seeing now they are dangerous? Thats bad :study: , I just bought it so thats a bummer :( . How expensive are the repi ones? Do you have any ideas where I can get the best deal on it? Thanks! :D

Jess

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Hi!
That's too bad. If they are new, maybe you could still return them?

The ReptiSun 10.0 tubes are $25 at www.petmountain.com so they aren't too expensive. For a new basking light, you can just use a regular house hold light bulb, so that won't cost you anything extra!

littlesavedgirl

Hatchling Member
I bought the Repti 10 ,18inch florescent UVB bulb today along with a 40 gallon breeder tank with hinged screened lid. So now I can have peace of mind. If I need a 24 inch instead, I'll have to wait a while to upgrade the fixture. They only had the repti in the 18 inches, thanks for the link :D

Jess

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
An 18" will be fine for now, since it still covers half of the tank. I bet your beardie will love his new cage! :D

littlesavedgirl

Hatchling Member
Oh I hope so, she will have much more room to move around. I am also gathering all the elements needed to build my own rock landscape and hide. I've got the Styrofoam and glue gun but still need the grout and paint. I bought her a river boulder for her viv a few months ago, that will stay it gives just the right amount of warmth for her and helps with her claws as well. But I'm getting there, at least I have her bigger tank now :D <3.

z71

I posted early regarding D3 and MVB's.

I decided to take the 100W Powersun back to Petsmart and instead bought a Reptiglo 24" and the fixture from Walmart. I just feel better with the fluorescent instead of the MVB. Regarding the ReptiGlo - I can't find a ReptiSun ANYWHERE in Columbus, OH. I called 6 pet stores and drove to 5 others.

I met a guy who owns a small reptile shop north of town and he really understands and loves the animals he sells. He's uses ReptiGlo without issue and recommends them, so I feel a little better about using it. I will eventually purchase a ReptiSun online. I just wanted to get something in there to provide some UVB.

I really like this forum and this is a great thread! Thank you for starting it!

I also got the Accurite thermometer at Walmart. I was standing in the store searching this forum on my phone trying to find where it was located in the store! In my store, it was in the hardware section.

Thanks!

am917

Ok now I am even more confused then when the petsmart person tried to tell me. I need 3 types of bulbs one uvb/uva, basking light and a cool light? This is were I think I went wrong before...What I have is on one side a uvb/uba reptisun 5.0 compact bulb and on the other side I have the 100 watt basking light and a red night light. So I should get rid of the red night light and put the $12 Walmart light in instead?
The basking light and the reptisun 5.0 should be on the same side or should I place that one in the middle. As I have it set up right now I have the reptisun on my cooler side and the basking light and red light on the other side? I think this is where I went wrong with the Water Dragon we had. (with no help from the petsmart store that it was bought from) I couldn't get the lights right along with the humidity. I don't want this to happen again! I'll take a picture of the set up and post it tomorrow. Cause now I am really confused! :?

Jess

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
@z71: You're welcome! Yeah, the only down side to the ReptiSuns is that they are impossible to find in stores... And they on the rare occasions I do fine them, they're $50!

@am917: You only really need two lights: A ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube, and a white basking light. The light on the cool side is completely optional, although I like having it.

So, here is what I would do:
Take out the coil UVB light and the red light, both of them are no good. Buy the ReptiSun 10.0 and the fixture (BTW: The fixture comes with a light, but you do NOT want to use that because it is only a regular fluorescent bulb, not a UVB bulb. Take out the bulb that it comes with and take off the plastic cover too, and put the ReptiSun in the fixture.) and use a regular white light bulb for a basking light. The basking light and the UVB light need to be on the same side of the tank, so that your beardie will get UVB light while he is basking. Does that make a little more sense?

am917

Ok, it makes sense now...I have to get the under the counter light fixture at walmart. I didn't see it in the photo at first! I'll get rid of the red light and coil light and just put the basking light on the same side as the Reptisun 10 and reg. bulb on the other side. Now my other questions is I have a heating pad under the tank which I plug in at night only since the tank was getting to hot during the day. It seems to keep the tank at around 80 on the hot side and the cool side has kept a consistant 75 degrees. Although, I am going to get the thermometer from walmart today along with the light fixture.
Thanks for all your help! :D Most books don't get into all this and it is very confusing.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom