ModPodge for fake rock..made my rocks *cloudy* looking,help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
LOL...on the help :)

I used a sanded grout in a red clay color...but the Mod Podge when dry had a cloudy look which made the rocks look a little purple...and magenta looking...NOT what we were going for *sigh*. :roll:

So I am making new platforms and wonder what you have used that dried clear?
I have read others use Elmers glue, watered down, but I am thinking I might prefer a sealant that is perfect for this.
What have you used that you love?

Thanks!

MeganKacey

Hatchling Member
I used Gorilla Wood Glue watered down. I know you're worried about not using an actual sealant, but I was reading in the DIY section about the Gorilla Wood Glue and its really good. It goes on clear. No harmful vapors or fumes. Water Resistant Type 2. Non toxic.

But other than that, apparently any sealant will be non toxic once its cured...so you can use anything really.

Jess

Extreme Poster
How thick did you put the Mod Podge on?? Because unless you are really glopping it on there, that shouldn't happen! If the coats are too thick, it will get a cloudy-looking effect... I have that in some of the creases of my sculpture where some of the Mod Podge pooled. It works best to do about 3 really thin coats than one or 2 thick coats.

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hi Jess :)

The post I read said to water down the Mod Podge, 1/2 and 1/2 ? I did put it on thin and let it dry between coats.

Should I NOT water it down? Also, the sanded grout of course left tiny bumps in the finish and even with 3 or 4 coats of MP he was able to attack some of the little bumps :roll: and get to the grout :shock:

We are redoing the rocks, the way I wanted to originally and want to be sure it works better this time.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! LOL

Thanks,
Sherri

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
I thin it down with cool water, usually 1 to 1...if not 2 to 1 water to mod podge. I usually end up applying at least 4-5 coats. The later coats will typically be a bit thicker. To combat the issue of bumps with sanded grout, I actually take some sandpaper to the structure. Helps remove the rough spots and anything that shouldn't be there.

Jess

Extreme Poster
Personally, I don't water it down and it has worked well for me.
Buy yeah, sand down any bumpy spots you don't want before you put the Mod Podge on. I like to keep most of the roughness though, so it is easier to grip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom