Lighting Help for Newbies (:

arbocd

Thank You!. I unfortunately bought one of those Zilla UBV lights. I have read a lot of info, plus yours, that states, that's no good. I have had Rex for about 2 weeks this coming Monday. Tuesday I will have the Repti-Sun UVB 10.0. I have already ordered the fixture from Home Depot, as apparently our Walmart doesn't sell them. This is all a learning experience for me and I'm sure I'll have many more questions. I can't determine if his basking spot is good enough for him or not temp wise, as I have those stupid analog sticky temp gauges, another thing I learned here not to do. I have been looking for an infrared digital thermometer and I think I have found a good one. Once again, thanks for assisting me LOL.

whiskey

This thread has been very helpful! I have a few questions though:

My beardie was a gift for father's day so were the tank and light. As I go through the various threads and posts I have learned that my stuff is all wrong!! They bought me a Zilla lamp that has a white round tube light with a spot light in the middle? (2 in 1 sort of thing) Is this light good at all? If I get the Repti-Sun can I keep the Zilla light as a basking light? Also it is a 10 gallon tank and the beardie is about 2-3wks old. What size repti-sun should I purchase? Thanks for all the help, I want my beardie to be strong and healthy!!

Jess

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Hi there!
Oh, I know what you're talking about. You can keep it for the basking light if you want to, but through out the UVB light.
I would recommend upgrading to a larger tank if you can, since it can be difficult to get a good temp gradient in such a small cage. He will outgrow the 10 gallon in a few weeks anyways!
The smallest ReptiSun they make is 18", so you would have to get that one.

Jess

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Yup, that should be good. :) Just so you know though, you don't need a "special" reptile bulb if you don't want to spend the extra money. I get my basking lights from Target LOL.

jamesxo

Jess4921":gkkyyl6a said:
Yup, that should be good. :) Just so you know though, you don't need a "special" reptile bulb if you don't want to spend the extra money. I get my basking lights from Target LOL.
oh really can u give me the name of the bulb i could use a little savings lol to buy more decor for their vivv :D

Jess

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
I can't remember the brand, but right now I'm just using a regular 75 watt house light in my 4' x 2' x 2'. ANY bright white lightbulb will work. Flood lights and halogens have more concentrated light (The are basically the same as the light you asked about) than normal light bulbs, so those will get hotter. I used a 65 watt flood light in my 40 gallon.

jamesxo

alright thanks i will buy a 75 watt white bulb for the basking are and then the fixture for the reptisun 10.0 . so they can grow big and strong :mrgreen:

i have one more question do you know anything about the (Exo Terra Solar-Glo High Intensity Self-Ballasted Uv/Heat Mercury Vapor Lamp) this is the one im currently using until i can go buy the things i mentioned

Jess

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
You're welcome. :)

Hmm, I think the issue with that one was that the UVB output diminished too quickly? Here is the thread about it: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=127476
To be honest, I don't know as much about the MVBs, as I've always used ReptiSuns. I don't think the Solar Glo is necessarily a dangerous bulb like the Zillas are though, I'm pretty sure it was just an issue with the output degrading.

Brands are so controversial but here's what I have experienced.

I have used Zilla bulbs as well as Zoo Med and have used the appropriate meter to test both. We actually test bulbs for customers as a free service so they know exactly when to replace.

I personally have not found the Zilla bulbs any less effective in producing UVB out of the package however, I did find that they lose effectiveness more quickly thus need replacing sooner. I started testing my own bulbs because of the conflicting studies and reports I have read online and in print about this subject. In the end, I prefer Zoomed's UVB products because they simply last longer. Up to two months longer of quality exposure over Zilla. I have had just as many Zoomed bulbs fail (burn out prematurely) on me as Zilla bulbs. Both manufacturers have happily replaced any product that was defective.

I have not had Zilla fixtures break any more or less than Zoo Med fixtures. I use both depending on the enclosure needs.

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
whitehotdragons":zb2ns8im said:
Brands are so controversial but here's what I have experienced.

I have used Zilla bulbs as well as Zoo Med and have used the appropriate meter to test both. We actually test bulbs for customers as a free service so they know exactly when to replace.

I personally have not found the Zilla bulbs any less effective in producing UVB out of the package however, I did find that they lose effectiveness more quickly thus need replacing sooner. I started testing my own bulbs because of the conflicting studies and reports I have read online and in print about this subject. In the end, I prefer Zoomed's UVB products because they simply last longer. Up to two months longer of quality exposure over Zilla. I have had just as many Zoomed bulbs fail (burn out prematurely) on me as Zilla bulbs. Both manufacturers have happily replaced any product that was defective.

I have not had Zilla fixtures break any more or less than Zoo Med fixtures. I use both depending on the enclosure needs.

What meters do you use to test?

Jess

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Perfect, I have the exact same one in 50 watts. :D What I love about those halogens is that the are almost indestructible. They might be almost the same much as the pet store lights, but they don't blow out nearly as easily.

Timers make life so much easier!

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom