Nathaniel, Cierra, Castiel, Freya, Grrl; RIP GABRIEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
We never expected to get another dragon, but our neighbours next door wanted to give away Cleo, as he was called. We'd babysat him before, he's such a sweetheart. We nicknamed him Velcro because when he snuggles he never wants to go back to his viv, he hangs on as if he's made out of velcro.

So here he is. Today was his first day with us. He ate 13 supers and ate some squash, not bad for the first day he was here. He's only in a 30 gallon tank, which will be ok for now. He's 18" long but weighs only 200g. We figure he's probably 2 yrs old. Our neighbours rescued him last fall, they found him and a female (which they named Puff) on Craig's list. They were in a 30 gallon dirty tank, with sand and a huge log that took up 1/2 the space in the tank. Leo was at the bottom, he was sooooo skinny. He's gained weight, but never got the attention he deserved. I took some pics today, but will take more tomorrow. I think he remembers our place as didn't get stressed as I expected. No stress marks at all. When we let him run around the living room, he noticed our girls and immediate black beard, so his hormones are working!

He had a bath this morning, had a big poop, no smell, so not worried about parasites.

So here are a few pics, he's a yellow & dark gray, light gray colour.

Under the communal power sun in the living room:
sweetie2008401.jpg

Discovering there are girls in those tanks up above, he has a great black beard for such a skinny boy:
sweetie2008403.jpg

On the couch, he's got a pretty diamond pattern on his back:
sweetie2008412.jpg

sweetie2008413.jpg

Hope you enjoy
Deb and my six dragons :D :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: :( :love5:

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
Oh Deb, I am so so very sorry to hear about Roger. I was so hoping that it would be good news. I really wish we were nearer to you.
I will keep you and Eric and all your family, human and scaly in my prayers. Please let me know if there is anything that I can do.
I am so broken hearted for you right now.
Hugs and love

Jennifer

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Thanks so much everyone. My sis came over when I called her at 3a, we went back to the hospital to say goodbye. My mom is helping with $ until his life insurance comes through. Without my family I'd be so lost. I'm just glad he's in no more pain & I'll bet he's in beardie heaven, straight of back, no pain & young. I'll bet Issy & Angel are by his side, too. That thought brings me alot of comfort.

So the paperwork starts. My sis is coming with me to the funeral parlour tomorrow at 11:30a. They've told me in advance of costs. They take care of him through the hospital morgue. As for his life insurance, they're going to make me hop through hoops, at least I know he never was seen for what he died of. Makes it easier to answer all the questions.

I so much appreciate all your prayers & good wishes. I know Roger's in a better place and finally at peace.
Deb

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Okay I'm gonna post here... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Deb I love you lady...you an Roger were my very first online friends. You two were the ones that kept me coming back to this site 4 years ago. I know you better than a lot of my local friends even the ones I grew up with. I hurt so bad for you right now. Both Frank an I have been crying all day. I have no words that I feel can comfort you. I can't even imagine loosing my companion. We love you an are so worried about you...your health and mental well being. I am somewhat relieved that you have family near you. But I am still worried. I love you, Deb!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I love you too, Barbara. I know it's going to be hard but what really comforts me is that I did all I could to keep him alive & his liver cancer won. He's now with Issy & Angel and all the animals he's loved over the years. I know 64 is a very young age to die, but he didn't take care of himself & the disease he had in his back made him suffer alot. Eric is the one taking it bad. I just found out he hadn't seen Roger since before Christmas last year. I didn't even realize it had been that long. I did give Roger hell when I found out (he was still at home at the time) but what could I do. So being with Eric and helping him through this is really important, too. I have so much support Barbara, my family calls me all the time. When I got the call from the hospital at 3a I called my sis & she drove over & took me to the hospital. I'd had 2 hours sleep. So we were able to say goodbye. He did look alot more peaceful that he looked in life. I appreciate you worrying about me, you have no idea how that touches my heart. I know it's going to be wobbly emotionally for awhile but I do have professional people I can talk to that are available through an employee hotline we have. They are an independant co to CIBC but this line is for CIBC staff only. So I have resources to fall back on. I feel angry that this happened to Roger, but on the other hand, he's out of his misery.

My sis is picking me up for the appointment with the funeral home at 11:30a. They already told me what to bring in & the costs involved. My folks have lent me the $ until Roger's life insurance policy is paid out. They are such sweethearts, my mom always knows what to do. I have a doc appt Thursday, so will be spending the rest of Thursday with my folks. I get supper in the bargain. David's wife Annika has called me numerous times to invite me over for supper & to spend the night. It's just so wonderful that I have such a loving family. Yesterday I had lunch with Mom & Dad, Gail (sis), Eric & Tara. Then after everyone but Gail went home, my ex-sis-in-law Jane & my two young nieces, my b-i-l (Gail's husband Ian), David & my two young nephews all went out for supper. It was a great distration. Then when Gail picked me up at 3:30a & we went to hospital, she stayed with me & we had a nap at my place. That really helped. Then she helped me make a list of people to contact & things to do & she stayed while I talked to alot of people on the list. We were also given a booklet by the hospital & I got hugged by every nurse that had helped Roger. I'll be writing a letter to commend the hospital for their ER staff, they were all wonderful and deserve a medal!

And I've also talked to the building manager Cami, she's a good friend. Her 15 yr old son Jake loves reptiles, he has a few geckos, scorpion, snake, plus dogs & cats. So I'm going to hire him to come in for an hour or two after 5p to turn off all the lights & maybe cuddle a dragon or two. Jake & Cami will be coming over end of the week to be introduced to everyone & I want him to come over a few times next week to see what he wants to do. They'll have been bathed, fed & will hopefully still be basking when Jake comes in. I think this is the only way I can work full-time and keep my babies, so I'm really hoping this works out. It'll be a permanent part-time job. I know I can get timers & I'm going to, but they're going to need someone to pet them at least, someone they know, as they're used to me being home now that Roger's gone. I may ask for more stress leave, I'm not sure I can be ready to work full time two weeks today. I'll keep you posted.

I really wish you guys lived closer but it's great to know you're within reach anyway. Eric & I will get through this. Once the cremation is done, we're going to have a get together "celebration of life" for Roger, even if his life wasn't a big celebration, I did have him for 24 years and there were lots of good times between the pain. My sis has offered her home for the get-together.
I'm sending huge hugs to you both for being such good close friends
Deb

Deb

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh Deb, I am so very sorry. I read your pm at work and wasn't able to respond. I usually don't go on the forum during my lunch break, but felt that I needed to today.

Roger is no longer in pain. He fought this as long as he could but needed to be at peace and free from pain. He is now happily holding Angel and Issy, what a visual that would be!

You certainly did all you could for him and more. We are all very worried about you and Eric as well as the rest of your family. It has to be a great comfort having your family so close by, must give you much comfort. I'm going to finish responding to you in a pm.

Sympathy001.jpg

hg081.gif

fez09

Extreme Poster
Deb.....There aren't any words....I'm so sorry, if there's anything at all that you need I'm just a pm away!!
Hugs and prayers for you and the entire family!!!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I so much appreciate you all taking the time to send prayers, all are welcome & help me get stronger. My sis & b-i-l took me to the funeral home today, so all of that is in motion. My sis even went out & boght 6 urns for me to choose from. So I got the perfect urn, covered in leaves (he was an excellent gardner) with a brown top. So now I can take a couple of days off & rest. I find I"m just so very tired all the time. Being with my family gives me alot of strength. So going out to supper this week will help alot, too. Roger had no time for my family, it was a very unfortunate way of his, so now I'm able to bond with them all better. They understand Roger & what he was like & everyone has assured me that Roger is in a better place. I think so, too. So I'm off to take a nap!
Deb

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Deb, I'm soo sorry. I've been praying for you and this situation through this last 5 days of me being basically without internet. I was afraid it would come to this. I can't imagine how I would handle things without Bill. We are still praying for you. I know you will need it. I wasn't able to get online since last saturday afternoon.

zmom

Deb, I haven't been on the forum in months, I was so sorry to hear of Roger's passing. :( Just spent the last half hour reading your thread to see what happened. Glad to know that you have a lot of family to support you, as well as your beardie.org family, and that Roger is now relieved of his pain. You'll be in my prayers.

Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom