Bearded dragon eye infection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My beardies eyes collect a goop and it re creates it self right after I clean the eyes Im wondering what this could be since he's had it ever since I got him. Could it be an infection?

His symptoms are :

goopy eyes/watery eyes 1 hour after cleaning them, eventually it piles up and becomes like a crust

he also gapes frequently

is it parasites or something else?

should he see a vet?

Thank you

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Sorry to hear your beardie isn't doing well.
So his eyes have been oozing and crusting since you got him? How long have you had him?

If you could answer some questions, maybe we can better pinpoint what is going on with your little guy.

What Type and Brand UVB are you using? fluorescent tube, coil/compact, mvb?
How close can your beardie get to the UVB?
Are you using a bright white basking bulb?
What are the temps in both basking and coolside?
What type thermometer are you using? digital w/probe, stick-on type, temp gun?
Do you know what the humidity is in the enclosure?
What type substrate?
Is your beardie making any clicking, popping, wheezing sounds when he breathes?
Do you have water in his viv or mist him in the viv?

newbeardie11

Original Poster
thats okay. thanks

they have and his eyes have been like that for a few months

Im using T5 Desert series Zilla flourescent UVB bulb
he can get up to 6 inches away
im using a 100 watt basking bulb
basking temps are 100 and over and 70-80 in the cool side
I am using a stick on thermometer
Idk the humidity. porbably not bad since he has a vented enclosure
he's on newspaper and paper towel
i mist him once a week, im going to do more.
he has made a popping noise and it looks like he forces air out
Thanks!

nathaniel

I am dealing with a similar issue and have been researching it. I believe it may be related to a vitamin A deficiency leading to an infection. The best bet is to take him in to a vet for a Vitamin A injection and eye ointment. Then you need to make sure he gets lots of green and orange/red veggies or a vitamin supplement. You should read up on types of UVB bulbs on the forum as well. Good luck!

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Hello! Sorry I did not get back to you sooner. :oops:
Were you able to get your beardie to a vet? How are his eyes doing?
From what you are describing, it sounds like he may have a respiratory infection, with the oozing eyes and popping sounds.
As for your set up. You might want to consider a better UVB source. Unfortunately, the Zilla UVB's do not emit the proper amounts of uvb for a beardie and they have been associated with health problems, including eye issues. The better UVB would be a ReptiSUN 10 fluorescent tube. If you cannot find one locally you can get them here at a good price http://www.petmountain.com
Your temps are crucial when it comes to your beardie's health. The stick-on type thermometers are not very accurate. It is best to use either a digital thermometer with a long wire and probe end or a temp gun. Walmart carries a great little digital thermometer called AcuRite, for around $12. This thermometer will give you the basking, coolside temps and humidity reading all in one.
Your temps could actually be too low, which may account for your beardie's respiratory problems(if this is what it is). It is okay to mist your beardie, but if you are doing it while your beardie is in the enclosure, it can cause the humidity to rise. So just mist outside of the enclosure. I would hold off on misting for the time being in case your little one does have a RI.

If you have not taken your beardie to see a vet yet... I would highly recommend that you do so as soon as possible. If he has an URI, he will need some antibiotics.
Please see about a new UVB and good thermometer as well.

Let me know how your beardie is doing.

rayjones

I was told by more than one vet that a bearded dragons eyes are an indication of health that is very difficult to see otherwise. Like blood infections, respiratory infections, etc. These animals are very good at hiding disease. If your dragon has eye issues and you can't see anything wrong with the eye (crickets can chew on a dragon's eye) then it is most likely an indication of something inside the dragon. Only a vet can diagnose and prescribe at that level. I would definitely take your little one to an exotic or lizard vet and have him checked. A dog and cat vet won't have the information needed to treat bearded dragons.

And I second the reptisun10 bulbs. I had one dragon go almost blind before I changed his bulbs. Couldn't figure out why he was chowing down on greens, but wasn't eating his crickets. Then one day I saw him miss cricket after cricket by a mile. He would study the cricket very carefully and then miss by a very large amount. That is when I knew he had sight problems. Changed him back to a reptisun10 and it is getting better. He can now catch super worms. I am hoping he can get back to catching crickets but only time will tell. Lesson learned, cheap bulbs are not worth the price! And before you say it, I have a UVB meter that I use on all my bulbs regularly. It was putting out lots of UVB, just not the right spectrum. And I have recently learned it is possible for these lamps to put out UVC which will cause blindness. So I save money by staying with a proven reliable bulb in all my cages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom