watery poop? caused by high humidity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRT12141992

Hatchling Member
My bearded dragon is a baby got him from petsmart two weeks ago, his poop is usually healthy looking but today it was watery and larger then usual. I read up a bit and am worried it might be being caused by the humidity in the tank being too high. I bought a dehumidifer and put it next to the tank but it doesn't seem to be doing anything the humidity won't go down from 60% and its really worrying me I don't want him to get sick. What else can I do??/ Please help I want to prevent health issues.

tempusfugit

Hatchling Member
Watery poop is more likely caused by improper basking temps or parasites than high humidity.. High humidity is more a concern for respiratory infections. You need to get the humidity down, but there's probably something else causing the watery poop.

SRT12141992

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
tempusfugit":1dv9kwgp said:
Watery poop is more likely caused by improper basking temps or parasites than high humidity.. High humidity is more a concern for respiratory infections. You need to get the humidity down, but there's probably something else causing the watery poop.

my temps seem good cool side 80 basking side 100-103 basking side used to be like 120 but i got a lower watt bulb cuz i was scared he'd get too dehydratd

also how woul dhe get parasites? because his poop has been normal except today? I will see if its normal and watery tomororw and get back to you. Do you think its possible he was just constipated? Because the couple past days he had eaten more crickets than usual and some of them were kinda big, not too big but still bigger than usual

Dementeddogz

Hatchling Member
Keep an eye on it, theres a number of ways he can pick up parasites including crickets. What is his diet? His diet can also cause it to be runny.

FBradshaw

Juvie Member
Crickets are the leading carrier of pin worms, and I agree with the diet being the most likely cause of watery poop.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Hello! I agree... the watery stool is more than likely due to your beardie's diet. Are you bathing him frequently? A "well" hydrated beardie can also cause a more watery stool.... not that this is a bad thing. :wink:

I noticed in an earlier post of yours that you had concerns about your humidity. You mentioned using a circular(stick-on) type thermometer and it was recommended that you get a digital thermometer with wire/probe or temp gun for measuring temps. Were you able to get either of those thermometers?

SRT12141992

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
gulfbrzdawn":4wjy9be5 said:
Hello! I agree... the watery stool is more than likely due to your beardie's diet. Are you bathing him frequently? A "well" hydrated beardie can also cause a more watery stool.... not that this is a bad thing. :wink:

I noticed in an earlier post of yours that you had concerns about your humidity. You mentioned using a circular(stick-on) type thermometer and it was recommended that you get a digital thermometer with wire/probe or temp gun for measuring temps. Were you able to get either of those thermometers?

Oh wow now im freaking out! parasites? What would I do? I can't really afford a vet right now, how much they cost? I prob could after i get my paycheck . yes he is fed salad and crickets. How do you prevent getting pinworms?

I haven't had a chance to get the digital ones I'll be picking it up today though. I work right next to a petsmart luckily
i feed him a salad and crickets everyday, i usually run water over the salad so its wet to make sure hes hydrated, havent bathed him inawhile.

SRT12141992

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
UPDATE: His poop today is more normal looking, but still a bit watery, does this mean its not parasites? i sure hope so I've only had the little guy for two weeks don't want him getting sick :( also when i took him out his stress lines on his belly were showing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom