my bearded dragons tail problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttruth42

my female bearded dragons that is almost 2 years old and she is house in a tank with anther female and the tank size in 3 feet by 5 feet and one side is hot and the other side is coool. my dragons tail has dryed up a falling off. why is this and is it gonna happen again and how can i pervent it happen again?

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
I've seen this happen several times now and have talked to my vet to get some opinions. First off, dragons body parts are extremely sensitive to loss of blood flow and as are made to be rejected quickly and easily in the wild for survival. It prevents infection from spreading and lets them get on with live without showing weakness. One of my dragons rejected her entire front arm after it swelled up from either an injury or something unknown, the vet put a splint on it which may have been too tight and it began to die within 2 days. At the place where it separated, it became firm from scar tissue building up to seal off the wound, then the rest dried up and just fell off within a couple weeks. I've seen dragons tails from about half way just begin to shrivel, then eventually fall off while healing perfectly. They are no different than us and can have small blood clots that get lodged in the small tail veins, cutting off further circulation. Tails seem to be more prone to this than the other parts and there isn't much you can do to prevent it or stop the progress. I however do believe that keeping a dragon hydrated does help blood flow, as a dehydrated dragons veins can barely be tapped for blood. Not that you don't do everything in your power to hydrate your dragon, they can be very stubborn and not drink when they should. Sometimes shed can cause restrictions that cut off blood flow and this can almost be undetectable at times, I've seen retained shed that you could barely tell was there, again, tails are most susceptable to this as well as fingers and toes. Lastly, dragons are crazy little animals that do stupid stuff while you are not watching and can get themselves into awkward postitions during restless times, you never know if it got pinched or something.

Just let it do it's thing and it should be just fine, she will barely notice it is even happening. I wish I could be of more help, but keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't get infected. You can rinse with betadine and put neosporin on it when it comes off.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
I have a question on keep dragons hydrated... Is a bath 3 x a week good enough for a 8 month and 1 year old? I never see them drink from the bath... should I syringe feed them water? Or are the baths good enough?

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Like Cheryl said... a beardie's appendages are more susceptible to injuries, retained sheds, etc...
Without knowing what exactly has happened to your beardie's tail, there is no way we can tell you why it has dried up.
You mentioned having two beardies housed together. Is it possible the other beardie may have bitten the one with the affected tail? If this is a possibility, you may want to separate them.
Retained shed on the tail may have caused this as well... cutting off the blood flow as mentioned.
Just keep a close eye on it to make sure infection does not set in. Using the Betadine mixed with some water(resembling that of weak tea) and soaking her tail will help, as it is an antiseptic. The Neosporin will help with any infection that may have started or to stave off infection.
I hope your beardie is doing okay. Keep us updated.

lauraj1055":2bnbt58t said:
I have a question on keep dragons hydrated... Is a bath 3 x a week good enough for a 8 month and 1 year old? I never see them drink from the bath... should I syringe feed them water? Or are the baths good enough?
Bathing 3 x a week is good. Generally this is all that is needed for hydration, along with the greens, which also provide moisture. Beardies absorb moisture through their vent, this is why bathing is so important. While bathing is usually enough, there are instances when this is not enough and you may need to orally hydrate them. You can usually tell if your beardie is not getting adequate amounts of water. Their skin will start to wrinkle badly and may even pull or sag away from the body. Their fatpads on the head may look sunken in. They may become lethargic. Just some of the things to look out for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom