Sudden loss of front legs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canvasrox

photo-2.jpg

This is Crystal - our new beardie.

We just moved to Las Vegas, and got her at a wonderful reptile store. She's been just fine, VERY active - then today I noticed that she's not using her front legs at all!

I had her and her sister in a temporary home until ours came today - reptile astro turf for the substrate, basking at 100, water, food, etc. Dixie is just fine.

What could cause this? I'll call the store for a recommendation on a good herp vet in the AM - but I certainly don't want to lose her!

ETA - it's like she might have jumped and hurt her shoulders - she tries to use her front legs, but they're very shaky and weak - not at all like earlier this morning.

photo.jpg

The viv

photo-1.jpg

Crystal's on the bottom - see how her leg is twisted under her? ACK!

Thanks in advance!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

She is housed with another dragon, correct?
She may have fallen & hurt herself or could the other dragon have injured her possibly?
Please review your tank setup with us, such as the type & brand of UVB. How often do you supplement with calcium?

Tracie

Canvasrox

Original Poster
Thank you for your replies -

I have had Crystal for less than a week. I believe she's fallen and hurt her front legs - I'm taking her to the vet today.

Dixie is just fine - I've had her for nearly a year, dust her food with Fluker's Calcium with D daily and she gets vitamins on the weekends.

Diet USED to 80/20 superworms to veggies/fruit, but now she's the other way round. She LOVES Arugula (as do I) and I give her Kale, Collard Greens, Daisy Greens, grapes, strawberries, blueberries, cantalope, bananas - you name it. Never spinach. She loves her baths, and poops regularly.

Before she was hurt, Crystal did the same - But I had them in a temporary home until yesterday - we just moved to Las Vegas, and for about a week they were in a 10 gal tank with ReptiSun bulbs and I would have them outside in the sun for about 45 minutes (fully supervised in a container of course). I moved them into the large viv that you see here, and about 15 minutes later is when I noticed the change in Crystal. I'm sure she fell - Trixie is a VERY mellow dragon - they got along just fine in a 10 gal tank for a week, so I can't imagine that as soon as they move into a HUGE home that she'd get all uppity.

Crystal has a little movement in her front legs - I've never seen anything like this before. She lifts her head up just fine, and of course loves to snuggle up with me. *sigh*

I'll keep the board posted, and if anyone has nursed a broken/wounded leg back to health, I would LOVE to hear your tail! I mean TALE! *snerk*

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Let us know what the vet says about her leg. She may have injured her leg yes, if she fell incorrectly on it.
How is she doing today, is she eating her normal amount?
Just make sure that she can get within 6-8 inches of the Reptisun 10 tube bulb, & gets calcium 4-5 times per week if she is under 1 year of age.

I hope she is doing better today. Try to keep her limited on her movements so she doesn't have to stress the leg more than necessary. If she did not break it, then, it will just take her some time for it to get better. There isn't a whole lot you can do other than keeping her from jumping as much to allow it to heal up.

Tracie

Canvasrox

Original Poster
First off - thank you for your post Tracie! Much appreciated.

Just got back from the vet. There are NO signs that she was harmed by Dixie. I knew that, but it was nice to have validation.

He said that the loss of movement in the FRONT arms was quite strange - normally if there's paralysis from a fall, it will be the back legs. There is no impaction, and other than the palsy, she's quite dandy!

Also, with the way she easily lifts her head, and is QUITE ALERT, shows no palsy from her neck area.

So - the waiting game begins. I put food right in front of her so she can eat if she wants, and now it's just up to her.

I'll keep in touch. *sigh*

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
I'm sorry to hear about your baby, and I hope she gets better real soon.. And not to get off the subject, but where did you get your viv from? It's beautiful!

Canvasrox

Original Poster
Thank you - I'm keeping a watchful eye on her!

You're gonna hate me - but I got it from the Orange County CA Craig's List. For $100.

I'm going to a reptile show here in Las Vegas this weekend - I'll post next week what cool stuff I find, including viv dealers!
:blob5:

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Hmm, I am glad there is seemingly nothing wrong here. Is she by chance starting a shed on her front legs?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh, the poor thing. Did the vet do some xrays? Did he give you an anti-inflammatory for her to help with any pain she may be having?

I know you said that there are no signs that she was harmed by the other one but it is possible that they were both trying to bask at the same time and there wasn't enough room for both of them which caused her to fall. It seems like there is quite a size difference between the two and I actually would suggest that you separate them because if one beardie is ill or having difficulties, it can cause the other one to show more dominance which could cause Crystal more problems and stress. If the larger one jumped or fell on her, it would be terrible. Also, since Crystal can't climb, if she was in a tank of her own, you could lower the basking & UVB light and also put cushy towels in to make her more comfortable. I have to admit that I am very sympathetic to beardies that have walking difficulties because I have a female that is unable to use her back legs and it is SO sad to watch her try to get around. So, I'm just trying to offer some suggestions to make your beardie more comfortable.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great news there didn't appear to be any injuries on the leg then. I agree that it would be a good idea to separate them so she doesn't get stressed while trying to heal.
How is she doing this evening?
It would be a great idea to limit her activity & move the lights closer then if you lower her basking spot.

Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Canvasrox

Original Poster
She's Pulled Herself Up!

I put her back in the 10 gal tank so she'd be closer to the basking light as Tracie lovingly suggested. This morning she was just flat on the ground, cold at the other end of the tank.

So - I picked her up, gave her some love as only beardie mommies can do, and tenderly smashed some banana in her face. (yes - you're supposed to laugh)

She licked it off, and I put her back in the 10 gal - and about 5 minutes later I noticed her UP ON THE LOG! Now, there's NO WAY she could do that without using her front legs.

They are still VERY shaky - and I'm not sure she's really using her right one at all - but it's a start, eh?

Oh - and how on EARTH does one open their mouths??? Do we even try??

IMG_1917.jpg

IMG_1918.jpg

gzambran

You can open their mouths by placing your finger in the middle of their throat, just below the beard and pressing / pushing the skin gently toward their sternum. It's kind of hard to explain, but hopefully that makes sense. Also, you can use a thin rubber spatula and wedge it in starting at the corner of the mouth. I find the first method more effective with my boy, but either one should work to quickly give meds or food. If your girl still isnt eating, you can make a "slurry" with a little chicken or squash baby food, open her mouth and use an eye-dropper to feed it to her. You may find that it isn't necessary to force her mouth open, most of them will lick baby food or apple sauce off of their nose if you place a little dab there (just be careful it dosen't slide/ slip to the side and get in her nostril). Good luck, I hope she feels better and starts walking again soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom