Reptiworms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking of ordering some :?: .. wondering how many for a 7 week old anddd how they are housed/ taken care of/ or any other info?

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
I just came here to ask how many a 7-8 week old will eat so will be watching for the answers.

Storing/caring for Reptiworms are so easy. A few ways to go about it. IF they are kept at about 55 degrees they remain *dormant*...don't grow etc. so you can order a lot of them at once to keep the cost down.

We use to keep them in a cooler with an ice pack we changed daily and kept the temps around 53-58 degrees, usually stayed around 54 most of the time.

We are now buying a small wine fridge (either new or used, have not decided) so that we can buy 5,000 small for $78.00. I would love to buy the 10,000 count at once but as the beardie grows they will eat larger worms and you have to let them warm up a few days to have them grow enough...don't want to hassle with that.

Our 4 month old ate between 30-70 per day of the medium size depending on what other *treats* he was getting that day or how much he ate the day before. So by the time they are 4 mo I would count on an average of 60 per day x 30 = 1,800 medium per month.

So you can look forward to about the same give or take when your beardie gets to 3-4 months...goes by fast.

I figure 5,000 to last about 3 months and at almost $80 that is less than $30 per month for his staple. When I was buying only 200 at a time I spent over $100 per month.....HUGE difference. The only way they are *affordable* for us is to buy in large bulk.

Sorry for such a long post, the feeders were the biggest decision for us. I seriously considered doing a Dubia colony.....but realized when/if we ever go on a vacation my Mom would NOT want to deal with them :). So easy to dump a few soft worms out (without having to calcium dust either) and be done.

Now hopefully someone will answer about the quantity at 7-9 weeks of age. I did a search but did not find the answer....
Sherri

FBradshaw

Juvie Member
I would say offer 15 to 20 per feeding and see what happens then adjust accordingly. For the most part dragons wont over eat.

ATXdragon

I love these worms already!!!! I just got my first batch this afternoon 200 count. So far my 7 week old "Kirby" loves them ate all 15 that i put in her dish in about a minutes time...

Greeneyes318

Original Poster
ATXdragon":2kal108y said:
I love these worms already!!!! I just got my first batch this afternoon 200 count. So far my 7 week old "Kirby" loves them ate all 15 that i put in her dish in about a minutes time...
Awe I hope my baby does the same!

tashfonz

So I just acquired an approximately 21/2 year old bearded dragon. I am currently feeding him salads everyday and crickets every other day. I'm not really liking the crickets and am just wondering if I can use worms instead. What kind of worms can I use. He currently gets about 1 kingworm a day as a treat. I'd really appreciate any replies as I am really new to this (have had him for only a week) and don't really have much clue as to what I am doing. :D
Thanks.

Greeneyes318

Original Poster
tashfonz":2zdsu71h said:
So I just acquired an approximately 21/2 year old bearded dragon. I am currently feeding him salads everyday and crickets every other day. I'm not really liking the crickets and am just wondering if I can use worms instead. What kind of worms can I use. He currently gets about 1 kingworm a day as a treat. I'd really appreciate any replies as I am really new to this (have had him for only a week) and don't really have much clue as to what I am doing. :D
Thanks.
You should be feeding.g him crickets everyday not every other and saleds everyday. If u do t like them phoenix worms or calciworms are the next.best thing... Use the nutrition care sheet this site provides or just Google beautiful dragons nutrition guide.

tashfonz

Thanks. So if I switch to phoenix worms or calciworms should I feed him them everyday? I have looked at the nutrition guide and it just said to feed crickets occasionally (that's why I was doing it every other day).
Thanks

Kaiser

Juvie Member
tashfonz":3c4tk3ka said:
Thanks. So if I switch to phoenix worms or calciworms should I feed him them everyday? I have looked at the nutrition guide and it just said to feed crickets occasionally (that's why I was doing it every other day).
Thanks

Actually, you would probably want to switch to Phoenix Worms or ReptiWorms, which are two different brands of the same type of fly larvae (black soldier fly larvae). Though they differ in what they are fed, their nutritional content is similar and appropriate to be used as a staple feeder and to be fed on a regular basis. Calciworms are the same type of fly larvae, but are fed a significantly different diet, and should not be used as a staple feeder, as they have very high levels of calcium (which in excess, can be harmful); therefore, the Calciworms can be used safely as a supplement or occasional treat, but not necessarily a replacement for the crickets. Just for your information.

Additionally, at two and a half years of age, you can cut back on protein intake. What you are doing now is usually suggested for adults: salad every day, and a protein source every other day. You can feed protein everyday, if he will take it, but at that age, he should be eating mostly salad (80% vegetables, 20% protein, approximately). As adults, too much protein can cause obesity or fatty liver disease.

tashfonz

Kaiser":1i6m1ky7 said:
tashfonz":1i6m1ky7 said:
Thanks

Actually, you would probably want to switch to Phoenix Worms or ReptiWorms, which are two different brands of the same type of fly larvae (black soldier fly larvae). Though they differ in what they are fed, their nutritional content is similar and appropriate to be used as a staple feeder and to be fed on a regular basis. Calciworms are the same type of fly larvae, but are fed a significantly different diet, and should not be used as a staple feeder, as they have very high levels of calcium (which in excess, can be harmful); therefore, the Calciworms can be used safely as a supplement or occasional treat, but not necessarily a replacement for the crickets. Just for your information.

Additionally, at two and a half years of age, you can cut back on protein intake. What you are doing now is usually suggested for adults: salad every day, and a protein source every other day. You can feed protein everyday, if he will take it, but at that age, he should be eating mostly salad (80% vegetables, 20% protein, approximately). As adults, too much protein can cause obesity or fatty liver disease.

Thanks for your reply that definately helps.

FBradshaw

Juvie Member
mrstuart75":36c6dbeh said:
so reptiworms don't have the crunchy chiton right?

That's correct. Repti-Worms and Phoenix Worms are actually black soldier fly larvae....large maggots, so not really worms at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom