Exo Terra Solar Glo Sun 160w

Status
Not open for further replies.

picko

i have a 36x18x18 for my DB i was wondering how close the mvb should be. right now its about 10" away from the basking spot and the temp is around 100f right now. can i move it closer to get it hotter or is it to close?

FBradshaw

Juvie Member
10" should be good and the temp of 100 should be fine as well. If you want to get it a little hotter try getting a higher wattage bulb when you replace yours but you may want a dimmer as well.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The dimensions of your tank sounds like a 40 gallon breeder. I have to say that a 160 watt MVB is a lot of wattage for that sized tank. With the 100 watt MVB, you would want it a minimum of 12" away but 14 to 16 inches would be safer. BUT with a 160 watt, the distance increases to a minimum of 18" with 20 to 22 inches being safer. I would recommend that you make the distance adjustment asap.

What type of thermometer are you using a round gauge (dial), digital strip, temperature gun, or a digital with a long wire & probe end? If using either the round gauge or digital strip, those can be off as much as 20 degrees. So it's important that you invest in either a temp gun or digital with probe end right away so that you know what the true temps are.

I also wanted to mention that you can't use a dimmer on a mercury vapor bulb.

picko

Original Poster
hi i have a temp gun that i use for my RC hobby i know that it is accurate, if i move it up to 18" i will only get the basking area up to around 85F to 90F how to i get the temp up higher? or will the heat get better when the bulb gets used more?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, when you take the reading with the temp gun, how close are you holding it to the area you are checking? Also, how old is the MVB?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ok, thanks for answering that. Bob from ReptileUV told me that the temp gun should be held 2" away from the area you're checking. I've heard that the Solar Glo's don't throw out as much heat as some of the other MVB's so you're probably gonna need to use a lower wattage household bulb alongside it. So the most important thing is to get the distance right because the MVB's throw out a lot of UV rays that can be damaging to your beardie if it's too close. Once you get the distance, then you work with finding the right wattage 2nd bulb to get the right temps. What is the temp of the cool side?

Is the MVB brand new? If it is, they do have a 2 to 3 day burn-in time which means they can throw out more heat after the first day.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
So, once you get the distance right, a lower wattage heat bulb should help bring up the temp a little on the cool side too but 75 isn't bad but 78 to 82 is recommended with 80 being ideal.

picko

Original Poster
so if i put a a lower wattage heat bulb on the cool side that should help the temps on the hot side to right? what wattage do you think i should use, and what kind of dome should i use.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well, you don't want the cool side too much hotter. Once you move the MVB further away, see what the temps are then and adjust accordingly. Are you using a deep dome now for the MVB?

You might want to try a 60 or 75 watt household bulb on the basking side first. You can use just a standard size clamp lamp but I always make sure to use a one with a ceramic top. I think I would go with the 8 1/2 inch size clamp lamp rather than a smaller or larger size.

FBradshaw

Juvie Member
diamc":3r2l8j34 said:
I also wanted to mention that you can't use a dimmer on a mercury vapor bulb.

Actually you can, they are just really expensive dimmers. As an electrician I've personally installed several.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The reason that I stated that is because Bob from retileuv mentioned that they can't be used with a dimmer but perhaps he was talking about a standard dimmer and not an expensive one. :dontknow: But this is what I've always read. :?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom