Just got Dubias... Thought they were odorless?

Status
Not open for further replies.

essenm25

Hatchling Member
I just started my dubia roach colony about 2 weeks ago and have about 650 mixed. I could smell an odd smell so I switched out the food, thought maybe it was that but its not. I even changed the type of food I put in and have the same smell so I don't think its associated. Anyway its not a terrible smell but I can def faintly smell it when I walk in the room and when I take their lid off.

Bbell

First they DO have a slight odor, whatever you do. Second it will be less if you have some ventilation in their crates. IE screen cut into the top, and some smaller screened holes on the bottom along the sides. I also keep a ceiling fan running in the lizards room, it helps. They by far are the less smelly, easier feeders I have done.

essenm25

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks guys! Yeah its not too bad I was just making sure it was normal.

I have a pretty standard set up; egg crates, hole cut in the top of the tub, and heating pad underneath. I am afraid it isn't getting hot enough for them though. Is a heating pad what you guys use? On high, always on?

Fallencomrade2008

Juvie Member
Thats what i use, they will stay alive at 70 and they will breed at 85-90 ish some times a little cooler still works. The smell will depend on how well there cage in maintained, honestly i don't think its the bug that smells i think is small leftover bits of old food. Mold can stink like hell too.

suzuki4life

Juvie Member
when you have more tubs you will notice they stink. Its mostly just the molts. Keep them cleaned out and the odor will decrease heavily.

suzuki4life

Juvie Member
Depends on the size of the tub.

They live happily in crowded conditions if
There is enough,
Food,
Water,
Heat.

And I do not recommend more than a 1.4 ratio on the adults.

wes

Juvie Member
Dubia seem to have a faint earthy smell. But if you smell it when you enter the room, unless it is a small room, I suspect a problem with bacteria growing in medium that is too moist. I've found sources of foul odors to be damp frass or egg crates (caused by too much humidity) or the water crystals needing to be changed.

JenFid

Sub-Adult Member
I was also under the impression that they didn't smell, but yes they do in fact. I keep mine in a closet in our office/lizard room and you can't smell a thing until you open the closet door. I would agree though that they are not nearly as stanky as crickets, not to say that they smell bad, just weird.
Putting in fresh oranges or any aromatic fruit seems to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom