Hornworms

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I found this info about hornworms on www.mulberryfarms.com, thought I would share it.
Goliath worms grow so quickly sometimes they grow too big, too fast for some customers animals to eat. When Goliath worms reach the size desired - you can slow growth dramatically and extend shelf life considerably (by a couple weeks) - if you store them between 55 and 65 degrees.
DO NOT REFRIGERATE them because most refrigerators are between 35 and 40 degrees (too cold) which will usually kill them. The easiest way to extend their shelf life is to place the worm cups in an ice chest with small blue ice packets and exchange the blue ice with fresh ones at least once or twice a day to keep cool.
There is enough food in each cup to raise several worms to full size. If however you run short on food, they may become cannibalistic. Larger worms can eat bell pepper or you can purchase additional Hornworm food from Mulberry Farms at www.MulberryFarms.com.
CAUTION: DO NOT FEED TOMATO OR TOBACCO LEAVES TO HORNWORMS BECAUSE THEY ARE TOXIC TO REPTILES!!!

Honda99300ex

Juvie Member
JeepMiller09":1kh6bzoo said:
Just ordered from coastal silk it was 20 buck for one container and shipping. Now I am new to hornworms and my understanding is that they r to be used as a treat. 2per day max. Everyone says they grow fast how fast are we talking about? Also can I pick them up by hand? I hear they can bite.

Thanks
Miller

Hornworms are actually very healthy and pretty low in fat. Ive read they can be used as a staple, but I never have just because I believe in feeding a variety. My dragons get pellets, greens & veggies, Dubia roaches, hornworms, and crickets all daily.

zillathakilla

Juvie Member
Honda99300ex":369s8ep4 said:
Hornworms are actually very healthy and pretty low in fat. Ive read they can be used as a staple, but I never have just because I believe in feeding a variety. My dragons get pellets, greens & veggies, Dubia roaches, hornworms, and crickets all daily.

wow spoiled guys!do they actually eat the pellets? how much of each do they get?

keen77

Hatchling Member
got horn and phoenix worms from costal silkworms today, letting the horn worms get bigger but they went crazy over the phoenix worms

triumphtt

Juvie Member
I ordered a Variety Pack from Linda @ http://www.lindasgonebuggie.com/page/397479218. She even let me switch a few things out for more silks and horns. I've talked to her off and on (haven't ordered from her since because of the winter and puff doesn't eat much at all) and she has helped me with any questions I've had with feeding and breeding them. She's been doing this for 20 years and just does it because she likes to.

keen77

Hatchling Member
triumphtt":soextfvh said:
I ordered a Variety Pack from Linda @ http://www.lindasgonebuggie.com/page/397479218. She even let me switch a few things out for more silks and horns. I've talked to her off and on (haven't ordered from her since because of the winter and puff doesn't eat much at all) and she has helped me with any questions I've had with feeding and breeding them. She's been doing this for 20 years and just does it because she likes to.

wow she has some great package deals!!! Will be ordering from her next week. thanks!

discojan

Juvie Member
Oh my goodness! We just got gigantic hornworms from Mulberry farms. they are about 1.5 -2.5 inches. Is it safe to feed such big worms to an adult beardie? Or to a 19in juvenile (she is 11 months). I know you're not supposed to feed them anything that is larger than the space between their eyes. IF the worms are too big, do we need to cut them b/f feeding them to our dragons; this seems inordinately gross (to pre-cut the worms).

Also, I read that some worms can be equal to 36 crickets--at what size do the hornworms equal that many crickets. We're trying to fatten up our little girl (19in) and keep our big girl fit and trim. Any insight would be of great help. Many thanks, Jan

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Honda99300ex":3dr9el52 said:
i safely feed 3-4" hornworms to my adult dragons. hornworms are very softbodied.
I agree, adults have no problem with the large horns.

discojan

Juvie Member
So 19in is big enough to be considered sub-adult? Our Salsa has had so many digestive problems due to treatment for parasites, I don't want to
give her any trouble!

I'm glad to hear that your adults love them--our girls are getting spoiled very quickly.

Honda99300ex

Juvie Member
19" should be fine. I have a couple adults on the smaller side and they still do fine with the full size hornworms.if you feel the worms you can tell how soft bodied they are. Honestly, in my opinion a hornworm would be the last feeder I would ever be worried about causing impacting or digestive problems. Again, thats just my opinion haha but I have never had anything but positive effects from the hornworms.

discojan

Juvie Member
Oh good. So what are the equivalents in crickets for every inch of hornworm about 8-10? I ready on Great Lakes, that a full-grown hornworm (3-4 inches) is equal to 36 crickets!!!

Honda99300ex

Juvie Member
not sure about that one, but I have heard the same,that a full grown hw is between 35-40 crickets, but not positive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom