How to clean the tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksl0588

Hatchling Member
Hey guys, Ive been wondering how to clean the tank to make sure that there will be no germs and bacteria. My beardie poops in his cage and it is scattered all over his aquarium which is a 50 gallon aquarium. He is around 7-8 inches long and about 3-4 months old already. My questions is, how can I clean his tank properly to make sure no bacteria will form? I don't have any substrate yet for him and the bottom of the tank is just plain glass. And also, I notice that sometimes the tank stinks a bit (not sure if its the poop of my beardie or the food I leave in his aquarium), what can I do to remove the stench? Thank you in advance! :)

fez09

Extreme Poster
Instead of having him on plain glass, put some paper towels on the bottom so you can just change them when he poops. That will help with the poo smearing too! To clean it, use a stemer if you have one, otherwise hot water and a little vinegar does the trick with no worries of chemicals. Make sure and dry it well though.

ksl0588

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
fez09":2ulxt552 said:
Instead of having him on plain glass, put some paper towels on the bottom so you can just change them when he poops. That will help with the poo smearing too! To clean it, use a stemer if you have one, otherwise hot water and a little vinegar does the trick with no worries of chemicals. Make sure and dry it well though.

Hmm I dont get how to use the steamer on the aquarium.. What does the steamer do? Sorry but I have no idea with the connection of the steamer to cleaning the aquarium, hehe! So I'll just mix water and a few drops of vinegar? What type of vinegar is best? They say that using bleach is also good when cleaning the aquarium, is this true? Because Im scared of using the bleach and I'd rather use the vinegar when cleaning.

Also, when I plan on bathing my beardie in a small tub, when he poops, can I also use the vinegar + water combination for disinfecting the tub after washing with water? Thanks!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes you can use bleach. But you got to make sure you rinse it out of the tank really well so that you can't smell any bleach then you gotta let it dry and make sure you still don't smell any bleach.

I don't know how to explain the steamer to you really. Steamers... well erm, they shoot out steam, and the steam is very hot so it kills all the germs. It's much easier than washing by hand with bleach or vinegar.

I can't help you with the vinegar though since i've never washed a tank with vinegar.

-Brandon

ksl0588

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":1ckwp3nz said:
Yes you can use bleach. But you got to make sure you rinse it out of the tank really well so that you can't smell any bleach then you gotta let it dry and make sure you still don't smell any bleach.

I don't know how to explain the steamer to you really. Steamers... well erm, they shoot out steam, and the steam is very hot so it kills all the germs. It's much easier than washing by hand with bleach or vinegar.

I can't help you with the vinegar though since i've never washed a tank with vinegar.

-Brandon

Oh alright thanks! Just want to add, when it comes to cleaning the poop of the beardie lets say it poops on the floor of the aquarium, what do you do to clean it? Do you just wet tissue then wipe off the poop then get a dry one to wipe it dry? Or do you add some disinfectant chemicals or something like that to make sure the area where there was poop is clean.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah you should disinfect it. It would be easier if you put paper towel down instead of making him stay on the glass. Then you could just take the papertowel out.

-Brandon

ksl0588

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":3rhqnbtv said:
Yeah you should disinfect it. It would be easier if you put paper towel down instead of making him stay on the glass. Then you could just take the papertowel out.

-Brandon

Okay will do that, just thinking about buying paper towels often because those huge paper towels are quite pricey and I would have to change them everyday, hehe!

ISOM

Dont know where you are but if youre in UK you can usually get lots of cheapie kitchen roll in shops like wilkinsons, pounstreatcher etc or just use newspaper as a cheap alternative??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom