black scabs on lips

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi i am a new beardie owner and just rescued 2 unwanted dragons, but have noticed the male has black looking scabs at the front of his mouth/lips. he still seems to be eating but does a lot of head banging/rubing on his viv and i wonder this could be the reason? any ideas please help many thanks stuart.

wooman1984

Original Poster
hi i am a new beardie owner who has rescued 2 unwanted dragons but i have noticed the male has black looking scab on the front of his mouth/lips. He still seems to be feeding but does a lot of head banging/rubbing on his viv any ideas please help. many thanks stuart.

wooman1984

Original Poster
sorry have just joined this site and dont no how :banghead:, have you any ideas or how do u post pictures? many thanks stuart.

Livey

Extreme Poster
You need to get a photo bucket account, upload it from your computer and then copy the IMG code into your post :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
One thing to do for a wound on the mouth [ or any wound] is apply raw honey. It is a natural anti bacterial/ anti biotic and produces hydrogen peroxide.All it takes is a little dab. If you warm it just slightly it's easy to apply with a Q-tip [ don't heat too hot, that damages some of the healing properties] I've used it with excellent results, and if you Google medicinal honey you will see the benefits on animal AND humans. Good for you for rescuing them!

wooman1984

Original Poster
thanks for your replys people am very new to this site and beardies, am trying to get a picture on now for people to see then perhaps somone will give me a diagnoses for this. As i say he seems to be eating it just looks like a black scab on his lip any other ideas are welcome many thanks.

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
From you description, it does sound as he may have made some sores in his mouth. Or have you left any crickets in his enclosure? If by chance there are left over crickets at night and they are looking for a meal, my guess would be that the mouth would be the best source of available alternative food for them. i hope that sentence made sense LOL. Either way most likely dried blood? Give the dragon a bath and see if it comes off by rubbing gently with water and the pad on your finger tip. In other words don't use your nail. ReptAid can provide some antibacterial mouth aid when fed as a paste or liquid, also there is a product, I think called Rot Guard, that state it can prevent mouth rot, not only treat it. Which in any case would be another form of antibiotic you may consider. A dragon I am sure has a lot of bacteria naturally in its mouth, let alone if there are sores present.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
My baby girl rubbed her mouth raw and I actually started putting Burt's Bee's wax NATURAL lip balm on her. I was told it was safe for her and it did help her lips. I put it on right before bed because i wasn't sure if it could work like tanning oil and cause burns :?: . Just a thought. I also had to temporarily pad the sides of her tank until she quit rubbing her mouth on them.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How long has your dragon been banging her lips on the glass? If this continues, she will have permanent damage which will go into mouthrot.
Do you have any pictures of her?
What are the temperatures in the tank?

Tracie

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
100_1934.jpg

I hope this was the image you wanted to post :wink:

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
By the way, why don't you move one enclosure to a different location in the house, or put up something to block the vision of the others enclosure?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Try the raw honey...it's not a quack remedy, it's approved for treatment in Australia for humans even, and does not have the nasty taste that a.b cream would have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom