bearded dragons tail gone red and limp

Status
Not open for further replies.

lnb4life

right ok e-ki is about 1 and a half, i noticed a tiny part of his tail was going red and then the rest followed, i thought that maybe he was maturing and changing colour, he jumped off his rock today and i noticed his tail made a little thud, usually he had the tip upright but there seems to be no movement in it at all! he can lift the very top part by his bum but the rest is limp :/ when i got him he had a tiny nip on the tip of his tail but the vet said it would be nothing to worry about and it would drop off..whats happened to him? the colour of his tail is more red than its showing in the pictures - not very good quality..
IMG_0777.jpg

IMG_0778.jpg

IMG_0780.jpg

IMG_0781.jpg

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
It could be retained shed which can cut off circulation. if i was you i'd get him to the vet asap. It could also be tail rot- i found this info which may help explain;

Bearded dragon tail rot is a health problem that can occur from time to time. Bearded dragons with tail nips, or tail trauma of some sort seem more susceptible. While tail rot can lead to problems, if it is caught early it can be treated and reversed.

What is Tail Rot?
Tail rot is the term used when a bearded dragon tail tip darkens and gets infected. If tail rot is not caught early enough this will spread down the tail and may eventually fall off.

What Causes Tail Rot?
There are actually a couple of different things that may lead to bearded dragon tail rot.
The first cause is trauma to the tail. Trauma can include, but not limited to, injuries from being crushed by cage decor (or anything else), and tail nips.

The second cause of this is accumulated, un-shed tail tips.

Symptoms
There will be a noticeable darkening of the tip of the dragons tail. Over time this darkening will start to work its way toward the base of the tail.

Hope he's ok :(

lnb4life

Original Poster
how often are they meant to shed? he hasnt for ages! if it was something to do with his scales that wouldnt make his tail limp would it? he doesnt move it at all, watched him for a few hours now n he kinds just drags it along

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
Ah sorry just noticed you said he was 1 1/2 years old so don't think they shed often at that age. Why don't you pm one of the moderators for help, they're good with health concerns. Could he have broken his tail when he jumped, which might explain the limpness? Sorry i havent been much help :(

LilStinkpot

Juvie Member
Ooooh, poor guy! I'm no expert, but that sounds and looks like tail rot. If it is, if it's that far up the tail, then your buddy needs a vet right away. If it's just the tip that's dead, it'll fall off, but now he needs a vet to kinda... help it off. If the dead portion remains, the infection and dying tissue will keep rising.

Again, that's IF it's tail rot, though I'm pretty sure.

In the meantime, here's a BUMP to get your post back up to the top.

Good luck!

LilStinkpot

Juvie Member
If I may add.... The other common names for the ailment are necrosis & gangrene.
Not to be alarmist, but I wanted to stress the importance of the issue. The more I review the pictures and description, the more certain I am.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow I must say that I have never seen anything quite like that.
That first picture shows a dent at the end of his tail, what happened, an injury of some sort? How long ago did that happen?How long has his tail been red like this? Can you get him to the vet for this to have it checked out?
Does he still have feeling in the tail when you touch his tail?

Please try to get him to the vet as soon as you can. It may be retained shed which is constricting his tail. It will begin to affect his health.

Tracie

DragonsNDoodles

Juvie Member
The original post says that when the dragon was purchased, it already had a little tail nip, so that's probably the dent in the pictures.

VET ASAP!!!!!!

sorry that this has happened BUT all I know is that when I HAD MY LIZARD On a hot rock with no sock on the top his hot rock his feet would get burnt but of course he was awake so he would jump off just wondering if your berdies tail might have got burnt on the hot rock while he was asleep??

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Was the dragon kept on any colored sand by chance ? Aside from the strange color and tiny nip, the structure of the tail loooks healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom