Where do you find breeders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OKinOK

Hello everyone,
I'm new here. I have been researching a couple different kinds of lizards, trying to decide which is best for me. I posted in the introduction sections and had a big list of questions for Beardie care. I am glad I did, too. My considerations are a bearded dragon or an iguana. After a couple lovely people answered my questions about the dragons, I'm just not so sure I am ready to handle those. I always freak out when a bug crawls on me when I am outdoors, so I just don't think it would be very wise of me to get a dragon and have to handle all the bugs they need. I am considering an iguana because I used to have one when I was a kid, I loved it. I would really like to have another now that I am much older. My last one came from a petstore and while he was healthy, I now know the bad things about petstore trade. I'd like to avoid the petstore business and get a baby iguana from a breeder. But I'm not sure where to find a breeder! And I know nothing about researching breeders and what to look for. I guess my first step is finding one! Is there a website that has a list of good breeders I could contact? Thanks everyone!

Floof

Juvie Member
Iguanas are NOT something you can just jump into. An adult iguana will reach 5-6 ft in length (within its first 3 years of life, even!), need a 12 ft enclosure, and will clean out your local produce section in a month (read: expensive and difficult to feed AND house). As adults, they can be incredibly difficult to handle, and can inflict some serious damage. They are NOT for the faint of heart, and certainly NOT for anyone remotely "new" to reptiles (whether or not you had one as a child). Really, really, I do NOT think you should get an Iguana, at least until you get some experience under your belt.

Good care information can be found at the Green Iguana Society (http://greenigsociety.org) and their forum.

A good, also herbivorous, alternative would be Uromastyx. They are extremely high-heat animals, but their space requirements are about the same as a bearded dragon--4x2x2 cage is ideal. UVB, like igs and beardies, is vital. Deer Fern Farms has a good caresheet... http://deerfernfarms.com/Uromastyx_Care.htm

As for beardies, I'm also terrified of bugs (I scream when I think there's a bug on me, inside or outside... lol), but it doesn't get in the way of being able to keep beardies. If you have long tongs and access to slow, non-flying, and non-jumping prey, like dubia roaches and silkworms, feeding a beardie is incredibly easy. Silkworms are essentially caterpillars (and extremely nutritious for your beardie) and Dubia roaches are small (2" adults) and don't fly, climb, make noise, or even move very fast (they're also more nutritious than crickets). You could look into an adult beardie, as well. They still need some prey, but, at that point, they're eat more greens (it's said the ideal diet for an adult beardie is 80% vegetables, 20% "bugs".. If it'll cooperate!). With an adult bearded dragon, you can get away with feeding insects only 2-3 times a week.

Just my $.02 on the subject...

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
yeah I'd have to agree with floof. iguanas are difficult. I used to have them and never again. I would temporarily take one in as a rescue, but that it would be gone for a permanent home asap. They are high-strung, and can be very aggressive.

There are herbivores that are easier than iguanas I'm sure, and omnivores that don't eat as many bugs. leos I understand only eat a few bugs a day. that might be a better break-in bug eater.

Floof

Juvie Member
Ziggy made an excellent post. I'd just like to point out one thing--though Leopard geckos are easily among the best starter lizards and I'm sure can make a fantastic "first bug eater," they ARE strict insectivores so, with them, the bugs aren't an option by any means.

On that same note, there is a species of gecko, Crested Geckos, that are not only simple and easy to care for, but don't need bugs in any portion of their diet. They can be fed strictly on a prepared food called Crested Gecko Diet by Repashy. Its nutrition content is complete and formulated specially for Crested geckos and other, similarly frugivorous gecko species. Though the occasional insect treats are good and give them a healthy boost of protein, they aren't necessary; Crested Geckos can be raised and maintained strictly on the Crested Gecko Diet for the duration of their lives.

If you're new to lizard care, Crested and Leopard geckos both can make great beginners to introduce you to the world of reptiles without having to dedicate a great deal of time, money, and effort, like you would have to do with any of the larger, UVB-dependent reptiles, like Bearded Dragons, Uromastyx, and especially Iguanas. You can find some great forums dedicated to Crested Gecko care (the Repashy and Pangea gecko forums, namely), and, though there aren't any forums dedicated to Leopard Gecko care, there are some general Gecko forums where you can find great information, as well.

Derek32

Juvie Member
i agree that iguanas arenot something to just jumo into but a 12 foot cage is not neccessary. i have a 4.5 foot male green and i rescued him from people who kept him in a 55g tank. i have hik in is won 6ft tall 5 ft long 4 ft deep enclosure. i have heared alotta ppl say that 6x4x4 is m,inimum mines 6x5x4 but yes they can be very high strung and aggressive and are not a beginner reptile. if you know what your doing they are great pets though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom