Silkback care??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeserah

Sub-Adult Member
I don't know if this is the right forum, but I was wondering if any of you could give me advice when caring for my soon-to-arrive silkie. I recognize that I'll need a lotion to keep the skin from desiccating, but are there any breeders or well-informed people out there who might be able to tell me if there's anything else I should be doing different? Will a reptisun 10 still be my best option, or should I go for a lower output bulb (like reptisun 5)? Should I keep the humidity low or increase it just a tad? What are your thoughts?

**If you don't have anything productive to say about the care, and just wish to state your opinion on whether you like/dislike silkbacks, think they're right or wrong, please save your words. I've heard it before. Thanks in advance.

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
Hi ive been following your other post, not long to go :blob5: !! i was reading up on silkbacks for you and info i got was that care is mainly the same but some people say they require temperatures of 10 degrees lower than a bearded dragon and a 5% UVB?????. However i wouldn't completely rely on this information unless someone else can agree. There is hardly any information on the web about silkbacks- hope someone can help, sorry i haven't been much use :)

jeserah

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the post! If I can't get suitable information my new silkie will have to be a guinea pig. Perhaps I'll write an article about silkback care once I've figured her out :D

jeserah

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I'm not sure yet. I've been looking at hypo-allergenic organic lotions, but I haven't found anything that suits my fancy. What I really want is a plant-based lotion without scent and is minimalist in its ingredients. I think I'm going to swing by a local organic store before my study session tonight and ask them if they have anything like that. I think I want something aloe based, but idk. Does anybody know if a cocoa base would be harmful?

jeserah

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
spurlee01":1zbzd0mu said:
Cocoa was recommended to me by two different moderators when my darling was having shed issues.
Thanks very much for the information!

So... I couldn't decide between cocoa butter and shea butter. I decided to go with shea because (and this was my in-store-no-reference logic) that chocolate is poisonous to some animals.... hahaha. Doesn't make a lot of sense now though. What I got is more like a hand salve. Its ingredients read:
"Handcrafted Shea (Butyrospermum parkii) Butter, Lavender essential oil, Spearmint essential oil."

The fragrance is very hard to smell over the pure shea butter, so I didn't think it would harm the beardie too much. Maybe I should return the salve and get pure cocoa? If cocoa works, then I should definitely get it.

quigleysmom

Juvie Member
Oh you are so lucky to be getting a Silkback. I think they are beautiful. I have really, REALLY, sensitive skin and can't handle anything with any fragrence so I use olive oil. I don't know if this would be a good solution for your new little one. Good luck.

Also, can the breeder give you any advice?

jeserah

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thank you :D

The breeder says he doesn't use lotion at all, just mists them with water when they need help with their shed. I just wonder if it doesn't make the skin more dry, only using water.

quigleysmom

Juvie Member
I agree. I would think that just water on such delicate skin. I know the olive oil can be used on babies and you can't get more delicate than that, but I guess you will have to kind of figure it out as you go along. I wish you luck though. Enjoy your new baby.

BryanaE

I was thinking about this the other day. What about straight Aloe from a plant? We have a huge one and bet it wouldn't mind some chopping every now and then for it's goo :D

jeserah

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hmmm, pure aloe might do the trick also. I would have to get my sticky fingers on a plant first, however. I think I'm going to try the olive oil route but also keep looking for a nice, portable lotion and definitely an aloe plant! Craigslist here I come, lol!

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
About Aloe plants, we started off with a small one, never cut the leaves off, just watered it, it grew like crazy. My suggestion if you get an aloe plant, get a couple and just water it and let it grow. From that one plant (and we've given away a lot of it) we have a lot of it growing in at least 3 different places on our property.

jeserah

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Ohhh, thanks! I would have been hacking it up, haha. However, it's pretty cold up here in the winter. It doesn't snow or anything but it will freeze overnight. Do you think aloe would fair ok outside? I don't have any direct sunlit windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom