List of Bad Foods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Critter

Hatchling Member
Hi everyone. I am yet to own a Bearded Dragon but I'm set to get one hopefully in the next 4 weeks so I'm just trying to learn what I can. I know that each animal has it's foods that are harmful to them, such as dogs with chocolate, grapes, onions etc and I was wondering if someone could list all the food that is bad for Beardies. I have already heard that lettuce, fireflies and spinach are bad for them, but what other foods should I avoid feeding the little guy?

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
citrus, dairy, mealworms are bad, and there's another fruit that's bad, but I can never remember it.

Critter

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for that. I'm going to try and find every fruit that's bad for them now just in case.

Sapphire

Sub-Adult Member
Lightning bugs are fatal and ladybugs are bad for them too, so be careful if those tend to get into your house.

Critter

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Sapphire":16ertnxr said:
Lightning bugs are fatal and ladybugs are bad for them too, so be careful if those tend to get into your house.

Thanks, I don't know what a Lightning bug is but I get a few Ladybugs around so I will keep that in mind.

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
Critter":1053cp59 said:
Sapphire":1053cp59 said:

Thanks, I don't know what a Lightning bug is but I get a few Ladybugs around so I will keep that in mind.

they're also known as fireflies. They're bugs that light up at night. I don't think you have them in australia and that's part of our problem with them. Native species tend to know what things are toxic in their home turf. Our native animals know not to mess with them, but to dragons it's just one more bug they haven't tried yet.

Critter

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ziggy23":1tixtwzb said:
Critter":1tixtwzb said:
Sapphire":1tixtwzb said:

they're also known as fireflies. They're bugs that light up at night. I don't think you have them in australia and that's part of our problem with them. Native species tend to know what things are toxic in their home turf. Our native animals know not to mess with them, but to dragons it's just one more bug they haven't tried yet.

Ah yes we definitely don't have those in Australia. I guess that's just an added bonus to owning a native reptile. We also have all the native insects they would eat in the wild.

sobotta

Hatchling Member
Critter":1pjsbb4m said:
Sapphire":1pjsbb4m said:

anything that is bio-luminescent, fire flys (lightning bugs) and glow worms...basically anything that makes its own light with chemicals in the body, my wife had a beardie that got ahold of a fire fly and she ended up dying within minutes

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
I just saw the list of the foods that was toxic looking for something else yesterday. Avocado and rhubarb. both of which I hate. I generally only buy them veggies that we eat too, so that's why I couldn't remember them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom