List of Bad Foods

Discuss topics of food for your beardies here.

List of Bad Foods

Postby Critter » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:47 pm

[TOPIC AUTO-LOCKED DUE TO INACTIVITY]

Hi everyone. I am yet to own a Bearded Dragon but I'm set to get one hopefully in the next 4 weeks so I'm just trying to learn what I can. I know that each animal has it's foods that are harmful to them, such as dogs with chocolate, grapes, onions etc and I was wondering if someone could list all the food that is bad for Beardies. I have already heard that lettuce, fireflies and spinach are bad for them, but what other foods should I avoid feeding the little guy?
Critter
Hatchling Poster

Re: List of Bad Foods

Postby jeritta » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:56 pm

Go to www.beautifuldragons.com and look at the nutrition page. it lists foods that are both good and bad. It is color coded so you will know what is safe to feed and how often.
Jeritta wife to Jeff, mom to 4 beardies (Gobi, Amigo, Ash and Cadmus) 4 dogs (Fancy,Doodles, Lucky and Pep)

Dream like you're going to live forever, live like you're going to die today.
jeritta
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby Critter » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:58 pm

jeritta wrote:Go to http://www.beautifuldragons.com and look at the nutrition page. it lists foods that are both good and bad. It is color coded so you will know what is safe to feed and how often.

Wow thanks for that! That's a really great list.
Critter
Hatchling Poster

Postby ziggy23 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:03 pm

citrus, dairy, mealworms are bad, and there's another fruit that's bad, but I can never remember it.
ziggy23
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby Critter » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:18 pm

Thanks for that. I'm going to try and find every fruit that's bad for them now just in case.
Critter
Hatchling Poster

Postby Sapphire » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:08 pm

Lightning bugs are fatal and ladybugs are bad for them too, so be careful if those tend to get into your house.
Sapphire
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby Critter » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:24 am

Sapphire wrote:Lightning bugs are fatal and ladybugs are bad for them too, so be careful if those tend to get into your house.

Thanks, I don't know what a Lightning bug is but I get a few Ladybugs around so I will keep that in mind.
Critter
Hatchling Poster

Postby ziggy23 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:18 am

Critter wrote:
Sapphire wrote:Lightning bugs are fatal and ladybugs are bad for them too, so be careful if those tend to get into your house.

Thanks, I don't know what a Lightning bug is but I get a few Ladybugs around so I will keep that in mind.

they're also known as fireflies. They're bugs that light up at night. I don't think you have them in australia and that's part of our problem with them. Native species tend to know what things are toxic in their home turf. Our native animals know not to mess with them, but to dragons it's just one more bug they haven't tried yet.
ziggy23
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby Critter » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:59 pm

ziggy23 wrote:
Critter wrote:

they're also known as fireflies. They're bugs that light up at night. I don't think you have them in australia and that's part of our problem with them. Native species tend to know what things are toxic in their home turf. Our native animals know not to mess with them, but to dragons it's just one more bug they haven't tried yet.

Ah yes we definitely don't have those in Australia. I guess that's just an added bonus to owning a native reptile. We also have all the native insects they would eat in the wild.
Critter
Hatchling Poster

Postby sobotta » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:26 pm

Critter wrote:

anything that is bio-luminescent, fire flys (lightning bugs) and glow worms...basically anything that makes its own light with chemicals in the body, my wife had a beardie that got ahold of a fire fly and she ended up dying within minutes
SGT Peter & Cassie Sobotta, US Army
2 cats: Salem and Puss (aka babygirl)
5 bearded dragons (and counting): Spike (RIP), Spaz (RIP), Touch, Leah and Gizmo
sobotta
Hatchling Poster

Postby ziggy23 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:15 am

I just saw the list of the foods that was toxic looking for something else yesterday. Avocado and rhubarb. both of which I hate. I generally only buy them veggies that we eat too, so that's why I couldn't remember them.
ziggy23
Gray-bearded Poster

Return to Feeding