My beardie Ivan has necrosis in his tail HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hooklinebrittany

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ivan shedded off part of his tail yesterday. It was kinda bloody so I got some nonstick gauze and put it on there to help stop it. He was pretty pissed and is still pretty pissed that he has to walk around with gauze on the end of his tail. But other than that he seems ok.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry that I did not check back on your thread, I apologize. :oops:
So do you have any new pictures of his tail?
Did you keep him on the medication?
How is his appetite doing lately? I hope that his tail is healing up & the area has not gotten infected.

Tracie

hooklinebrittany

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
It doesn't look infected at all honestly. I'm still going on the medication, there's still a little bit left. Maybe a couple days worth. His appetite is great as usual. He seems to be doing well. He's just easily irritable and doesn't like being out of his cage... because of his tail I think.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm glad that Ivan is doing well....just curious, who told you that it was necrosis ? I didn't see anything bad about his tail except the very end of it. If it was truly necrosis, I believe it would have been amputated....but it wasn't. So that's GOOD news. He looks fine to me....oh, and never pull skin off of a reptile. You must allow it to come off on it's own with daily short soaks and using good creams that Tracey mentioned. Unpasteurized honey can be used as a natural antibiotic and antibacterial "ointment " as well. It's even used for human patients.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I also wanted to say that I'm glad that your vet was knowledgeable/ honest enough to tell you that amputation wasn't necessary. I was just looking at a thread from July 26 about surgical tail amputation [ the thread is now locked ] where the beardie died shortly after surgery. The " before" picture that is posted does not seem to show any reason for the surgery. Anyway, your beardie should be fine....I hope all goes well!

hooklinebrittany

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well they said it was tail rot at the vet. I assumed as much when I saw other dragons with tails that had the same problem. I'm just glad the medicine is working. I'm glad to have a kick butt lizard and some decent herp vets in the area. That's what I'm thankful for this Thanksgiving.

hooklinebrittany

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ivan's infection has gotten better, he seemed to have shedded off the last of his infection. Over all he has only lost half an inch of his tail. There is about two to three inches of darkness on the end of his tail but he's not shedding it and the bottom is still white like it should be so i think that that part will heal over time. I'm glad I caught it before it got worse. He's doing fine now though. :) Much better than before. Hopefully this will be the last time you guys will be hearing from me and Ivan for a while since he's healthy now. :) He's such a fighter. Well, that and I take as good of care of him as I can. :) Thanks to everybody for all their help in keeping my baby boy alive and well! And happy new year! Hopefully this one treats us all better than the last one! <3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom