Long time no poop

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dragon is 10 months old. I have him in a 75 gallon tank with an exoterra uvb light that I replaced not too long ago. It's about 15 inches from his basking area. His day temps in the basking area is around 109 and the cooler side of the tank is 80. at night it stays at 80. He eats dead dried crickets and mixed veggies. He spends his days under a cave on a piece of carpet.

So he had his last bowl movement the day I moved into a much cooler place. Few days passed and I neglected to check his temps until i realized he was acting like going into burnation. I readjusted everything and got heat for at night time because it was way to low (62f, oops). Few weeks passed and he's awake but always in the cave looking at me. He went 2 weeks without eating, and I gave him a warm bath each weekend. He's very alert in the bath and dips his head to drink. Then one day after his bath he ate about 4 crickets and a good amount of veggies then sat on the basking log for hours. Still no poop since I moved in though. It's been a MONTH! He's still awake and bright eyed, stayed on the basking area with his head held high a couple times, doesn't seem to be loosing too much weight.

I worried about the fact that he ate 2 weeks ago and didn't poop yet for a month. Is the food rotting in his gut? I hope he doesn't get sick.

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
hi. what substrate is on the bottom of his cage
what type of UVB lighting do you have? Tube, Coil, MVB. if it is the standard UVB the light needs to be 6-8" from his basking area for him to get proper UVB and be able to digest his food and calcium properly
do you have a separate basking light?
what type of protein are you feeding it
what types of greens/salad
are you dusting with calcium 5x/week and 2x/ week with Vitamins
is he acting normal otherwise
When exactly was his last poop?
How are you taking the temps in the cage?

mickeysmomma

Sub-Adult Member
I had a similar problem a few weeks ago. My girl Louie ( thought she was a boy) went a good 3, maybe 3 1/2 weeks without pooping! Her temps were fine, she just kept brumating on and off...wouldn't even poop in the bath.

I had her driving around with me last week, and she ended up pooping...It was gigantic, lol, but totally normal.

I am wondering if brumating/not brumating kind of messed up her system. She has eaten a bite here and there since then...but no poop. But, I'm not stressing about it.

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
I believe 10 months is still considered young for brumation from what I have read it is for those 18 mos and older--Mods correct me if I am wrong? At least I was under the understanding not good for them to be brumating under that age

The same thing is happening to my little girl - she's 8 or 9 months old. Try sugar-free applesauce mixed with a little bit of olive oil. We thought she might have been impacted and that was suggested to us.

AlienGarden

Original Poster
Hello, thank you all for your quick replies!

As for the details,

OH yea, his name is Krogan. I should take a picture, he's a hottie.
No substrate, only plain clean glass. bare clean logs, round rocks. He sleeps on a piece of carpet under a cut half log cave. I put that there 4 nights after he started sleeping more. I placed a heating blanket on low under the carpet. I started this a week after he stopped eating. I have a cheap dial thermometer. It reads around 80-82 under his log directly on the carpet. I use an expensive battery operated one in the exact spot where he basks. 108f. It's on a smooth log he's been thriving on since I got him. . Last meal was 3 inches of green leaf lettuce. I put calcium powder and some water. ate it readily.
His last poop was exactly a month ago now! First he pood then he spent 2 hours in a shoe box because I was moving. poor lad scratched the whole time to get out.
I use 2 separate lights. One heat, one uvb. coil . Reptiglo, 10. UVB. i will lower it closer if that helps.
I've been dusting his food every 3 days with calcium vitamin powder prior.
Acting fine otherwise, just moves a lot less!!!
I have had many pets before and not many lizards. I've had anoles and I can tell that my Krogan isn't upset because of the look in his eyes.
Oh today I saw him with a VERY BLACK throat all puffed up from under his log. Very cute and he looks ok...... Still No Poops.

Oh yea, did the math!! He's actually 11 and a half months!

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
I suspect the problem is the coil bulb. You really need the repti SUN 10.0 tube. the coil bulbs do not give them what they need to properly digest their foods. I think if you change the bulb you will see a change. I would also put some paper towels or something on the cage, glass is not all that comfortable for the dragons.
Also, get rid of the stick on round thermometer and stick with the expensive one. The round ones can be up to 20 degrees off

definitions

Juvie Member
he needs paper towels or newspaper.. he probably can't walk around. Thats why he's eating dead crickets and not live. He can't chase them. also the 109 is kind of high for a hot temp. I keep mine at about 100 to 103. If it is too hot they will hide from the heat bulb because they can get enough heat from the ambient temp. lower your basking temp.

AlienGarden

Original Poster
Hi,
I got a better bulb and moved everything around so it's perfect.

It's been 5 weeks now and no poo. How long can a bearded dragon go without pooping? Will more frequent baths help or best to just leave it?

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
babies should poop daily or at least every other day. Once around 18 months they go every 2-3 days.
Did you get rid of the sand?

discojan

Juvie Member
Try warm baths daily (not too hot, should feel pleasant not hot to the touch) daily. Is he or she still eating? I would avoid the lettuce as it doesn't have as many nutrients as some other greens, which are just as cheap , but much more nutritious--collard greens, mustard greens, endive (not as cheap, but yummy and high in calcium), turnip greens. I've heard that apples can have a laxative effect in beardies.

Good luck and I hope your pet poos soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom