How much applesauce?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freebird

Pippin hasn't been pooping for at least a week. I don't think she is impacted because I can't feel anything hard inside her and impacted beardies often have trouble moving their back legs and Pippin runs about the house (with supervision of course) with no trouble. I wanted to take her to the vet but she gets super upset if strangers touch or handle her so I only want to take her as a last resort. I read online that feeding them apple sauce when they won't poop is a good idea but how much apple sauce should I give her?

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Sorry to hear Pippin is not pooping for you. Beardies do not always lose control of their back legs when impacted. It depends on the location of the impaction and the severity of it. If the impaction is close to the spine it will put pressure on it resulting in back leg paralysis.
You can use babyfood applesauce or canned pumpkin(no sugar). Mix it with a little water to thin and add a small drop or two of olive oil or mineral oil. Then give it to your beardie with a syringe(needleless). Drop it on her nose until she starts to lick it off. Your beardie probably won't take much more than a syringe full. You don't need alot.. just enough to get things moving. :wink:
What are you feeding your beardie? Have you recently started her on a new feeder? How old/big is your beardie?
Warm water soaks are also great for initiating a bowel movement.
Try this and see if it helps! Let us know how Pippin is doing.

Freebird

Original Poster
gulfbrzdawn":jot6zljv said:
Sorry to hear Pippin is not pooping for you. Beardies do not always lose control of their back legs when impacted. It depends on the location of the impaction and the severity of it. If the impaction is close to the spine it will put pressure on it resulting in back leg paralysis.
You can use babyfood applesauce or canned pumpkin(no sugar). Mix it with a little water to thin and add a small drop or two of olive oil or mineral oil. Then give it to your beardie with a syringe(needleless). Drop it on her nose until she starts to lick it off. Your beardie probably won't take much more than a syringe full. You don't need alot.. just enough to get things moving. :wink:
What are you feeding your beardie? Have you recently started her on a new feeder? How old/big is your beardie?
Warm water soaks are also great for initiating a bowel movement.
Try this and see if it helps! Let us know how Pippin is doing.

She gets greens (kale, mustard, collared) with shreaded zucchini and carrot, sometimes yellow squash and crickets at least once a week. I've been giving her canned pumpkin and two drops of olive oil. She is seventeen inches long. I try to give her a bath at least once every day. My mom says we can take her to the vet if she dosen't poop by Saturday (tomorrow). I can't remember when Pippin last pooped but when and if she finnaly does I'm marking every poop on the calander. Pippin is what keeps me together mentaly. I can't loose her.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Did I misunderstand or are you only feeding her once a week? Sorry if I didn't understand that correctly!

Freebird

Original Poster
gulfbrzdawn":10jalqgl said:
Did I misunderstand or are you only feeding her once a week? Sorry if I didn't understand that correctly!

Heavens no! I would turn myself into the SPCA if I did that. She only gets crickets once a week, the rest of the week she gets salads.

Freebird

Original Poster
Good news! Pippin just pooped in her morning bath. It was just like her regualr poos. I fed her apple sauce, pumpkin and even made her sit on a sock full of warm rice. She was unusualy relaxed in her bath this morning and was even closing her eyes and letting herself float, she usualy does frantic power laps. But she pooped. I guess you know you are a beardie owner when you get excited over a poop.

Starforce2

Juvie Member
when I oiled my beardie, I chopped up some apple into almost mush and saked in oil, then began sticking it to my finger and smearing it in, so it was a couple blobs at most, but he was small too. Though when it didn't completely solve the problem it was a dose of strait oil.

Good to know he's regular again!

Freebird

Original Poster
gulfbrzdawn":20slf452 said:
That is great that she poo'ed in the bath! :D
How old is Pippin? How many crickets do you give once a week?

A year and nine months. About 30 crickets. She got really mad when I gave her the pumpkin becuase I had to force feed it too her. I had to hold her and pull her lip down while my mom popped the syringe in her mouth. I need my dad to help hold her but he refuses to touch her. He says he dosen't like her but I think he is actualy afraid. A retired ruff and gruff Marine afraid of a harmless little lizard is actualy quite funny. Somehow my mom and I mannaged. I was talking to a service station clerk who owns several reptiles and he said he had to force feed his python and it took at least three people to hold her down while he fed her the canned mouse. Pippin seemed quite angry but she never bearded. I've actualy only seen her beard two times and my mom says she saw her beard the vaccume cleaner when it got too close to her cage.

Starforce2

Juvie Member
Mine will beard if my cat surprizes him. He did turn, puff, and open his mouth though. The reaction of the cat was hilarious.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Well that's good that you were able to get the pumpkin in her. Be very careful though when prying open her mouth to feed that you don't put the food too far back into her throat that she aspirates it.
You might want to consider spacing out her crickets over the week instead of all in one feeding. This could possibly be the reason for her not pooping. That is alot of crickets at one time for an adult beardie. It also wouldn't hurt to give her more than 30 crix in a week, since crickets don't have as much meat as other feeders like worms, she could handle about 50 crickets a week.
Do you also give her calcium and multivitamin supplements? How often?

Freebird

Original Poster
gulfbrzdawn":2wkgovnj said:
Well that's good that you were able to get the pumpkin in her. Be very careful though when prying open her mouth to feed that you don't put the food too far back into her throat that she aspirates it.
You might want to consider spacing out her crickets over the week instead of all in one feeding. This could possibly be the reason for her not pooping. That is alot of crickets at one time for an adult beardie. It also wouldn't hurt to give her more than 30 crix in a week, since crickets don't have as much meat as other feeders like worms, she could handle about 50 crickets a week.
Do you also give her calcium and multivitamin supplements? How often?

I don't put the applesause or pumpkin down her throat, just in her mouth so she has no choice but to sallow it. If I give her crickets or live food more than once a week, she stops eating her greens becuase she thinks she is supposed to get live food. She has refused greens for over a week if she thinks she should be getting live food. I thought she was sick but when I tried to give her a cricket, she happily ate it and wanted more. She gets calcium everyday but no D3 because she goes outside to play in the Texas sun everyday.

Starforce2

Juvie Member
keep in mind your dragon is going to have it's own tastes. I don't necessarily agree with the live food vs veggies. There's no reason why you can't have both in the viv at the same time. However, your dragon may get tired of a given food and want to switch. It seems these lizards each have their own personalities and their appetites seem to match, meaning each will differ. I often keep superworms and veggies in at the same time. She often ignores one or other, but also sometimes will eat both. I actually threw in 3 crickets yesterday and they've dissapeared and I've not seen her take a cricket in ages. Though I would like if she'd eat more of her dill, it's high in calcium. Though I can probably feed it to the roaches or crickets and she'll get it that way.

Freebird

Original Poster
Starforce2":1en92ejv said:
keep in mind your dragon is going to have it's own tastes. I don't necessarily agree with the live food vs veggies. There's no reason why you can't have both in the viv at the same time. However, your dragon may get tired of a given food and want to switch. It seems these lizards each have their own personalities and their appetites seem to match, meaning each will differ. I often keep superworms and veggies in at the same time. She often ignores one or other, but also sometimes will eat both. I actually threw in 3 crickets yesterday and they've dissapeared and I've not seen her take a cricket in ages. Though I would like if she'd eat more of her dill, it's high in calcium. Though I can probably feed it to the roaches or crickets and she'll get it that way.

If I put live food and veggies in at the same time, she will just eat the live food. I want to give her roaches but when I bought some at the reptile expo my mom had a fit and made me take them back. She thinks they will get loose and breed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom