fully grown??

Status
Not open for further replies.

gatorboy1392

Hatchling Member
i was just wondering when a bearded dragon is considered full grown?? mine right now is only 13 inches long and i think about 6 months old :/ not real positive on the age though. but i was wondering at what age do the stop growing and are considered full grown??

jennixpxp

Hatchling Member
from what i was told they can grow for a year or more... mine is eight months and fifteen inches... shell stop growing then grow then stop then grow. shes funny. lol

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
They are considered adults at 18 months. They "generally" stop growing in length at this time, but may still grow in girth. This is not to say that they do not grow anymore in length. Usually they do, but I have one beardie that grew 1.5" after the age of 2. So, you never know.
Beardies also do not all grow at the same rates. It all depends on genetics, husbandry and overall health.

spyder79

Extreme Poster
Dragons typically stop "growing" at the 2 year mark. They are normally considered adults from the 12-18 month mark (depending on size and growth rate as I have 1 male that hit 22 inches at 8 months and never grew another inch).

kimmie

Sub-Adult Member
Oh goodness! Wonder how big Angie will get to since she's only about 7 months old now and is 18" long!

gatorboy1392

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
well i got my beardie from petsmart, and they never told me how old he was and i didnt think to ask at the time. but i got him on 5/8/10 and he was about 6" long. so i have had him for about 3 1/2 months and now hes 13" long. is that a "normal" growth rate?? do you guys have any idea how old he might be?? or know at what age petsmart sells thier dragons??

kimmie

Sub-Adult Member
gatorboy1392":1ju13rg9 said:
well i got my beardie from petsmart, and they never told me how old he was and i didnt think to ask at the time. but i got him on 5/8/10 and he was about 6" long. so i have had him for about 3 1/2 months and now hes 13" long. is that a "normal" growth rate?? do you guys have any idea how old he might be?? or know at what age petsmart sells thier dragons??

That's hard to say I think. I know I got Angie at Petsmart as well - she was around 5-6" when I got her and that was mid April. She's now 18" long. I was told by another petstore that 5-6" is around 2 - 3 months in age. But who knows because Petsmart doesn't really feed them well or enough (IMHO). A few crickets in a tank for however many are in there is hardly a worthy diet! Maybe they do that so they don't grow so fast - not sure! There is a growth chart here http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Growth.html that you can sort of compare them to, but that's not definitive because there are so many other factors you have to take into consideration as well. But it gives you an idea at least!

gatorboy1392

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
well according to that chart im guessing mine is between 4 1/2 and 5 1/2 months old :) which means i have a long time to go until he hits the 1 year mark :)

dragonxxxx

Hatchling Member
I was wondering why on most of the posts people are in an uproar about the pitiful conditions the bearded dragons are in at Pet Co and Pet Smart but so many of you purchase your beardies from them ? Do you do it to take the beardie out of its misery. Just look at the first page of this forum, there are three or four posts complaining about these stores. It's a perpetual thing, you keep buying, they keep selling, and everyones complaining.

pamelacoe

Hatchling Member
Our dragon is from Petsmart - we got it there because it is so close to us and we didn't know any better to go elsewhere. When our first one died in one week, we got a replacement - this time knowing better what to look for. We were all nervous waiting for that first week with him (her?) to come and pass with no more events beyond growth and ending relocation stress. We were in there the other day to get "emergency crickets" - when you need yummies and your delivery won't arrive until Tuesday - and stopped to look at the BD's. My son and I were both dismayed/upset/annoyed that the ones they had in the tank could not have been over 3.5" long. Too many parents buy them for their kids at an age they are not yet responsible enough and I really don't think many people who buy one that small are prepared with knowledge of how to correctly deal with them. From what I see, baby beardies are like baby humans in that they take a lot of care, can easily get sick, but the reward is great with a loving & healthy outcome when cared for correctly. I wish I had the wherewithal to buy those little babies so they won't end up hurting..... :?

Brokenwings

Hatchling Member
kimmie":sad63hgz said:
Oh goodness! Wonder how big Angie will get to since she's only about 7 months old now and is 18" long!

Are you sure..? Judging by the pic of Andie in your signature, that is not 18" lol
18" is up to half my bicep. That's about what my beardie full grown is (4 years) you sure he's really 18"?

spyder79

Extreme Poster
dragonxxxx":1p0smmbn said:
I was wondering why on most of the posts people are in an uproar about the pitiful conditions the bearded dragons are in at Pet Co and Pet Smart but so many of you purchase your beardies from them ? Do you do it to take the beardie out of its misery. Just look at the first page of this forum, there are three or four posts complaining about these stores. It's a perpetual thing, you keep buying, they keep selling, and everyones complaining.

Most of the folks that purchase from places like petco/petsmart are beginners in the hobby and do not honestly know that the conditions aren't good. If you do some searching on the forum you will see the numerous threads in sections like health where the person purchased an animal at petsmart and followed the salesman's care instructions and now their baby is dying and they want to know why.

gatorboy1392

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
thats how i was unfortunatly! i was definatly a begginer! ive always wanted a beardie and one day in may i went in there and they had them on sale, and it was kind of a spur the moment thing. i was lucky cause i got a good one even though i didnt know what to look for at the time. he is healthy and big and has all his toes and stuff. if i would have known about better places to get one i would have gotten one from somewhere else, but i only know about those other places cause i joined this site, and i only joined this site cause i got him.

Brokenwings

Hatchling Member
We are all beginners at some point. we learn form our mistakes. My beardie was bought from petsmart, but he was "the healthiest they've ever seen" aloen in a tank, smiling at me with a clean tank of course. Took him right off the bat.
Learn, and most importantly of all, educate the rest. i spent an hour at petsmart when i bought cricket food with a woman who was doing all the bad stuff. i surely gave her a huge news flash that beardies don't live on their own. they need care.

Trogdorpheus

Juvie Member
Brokenwings":1hs2tc2i said:
kimmie":1hs2tc2i said:

Are you sure..? Judging by the pic of Andie in your signature, that is not 18" lol
18" is up to half my bicep. That's about what my beardie full grown is (4 years) you sure he's really 18"?

Mine is 9-10 months and just passing 18" as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom