What is This? Not an Egg sack!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prodigyitachi

Hatchling Member
I was cleaning my Dubia roach bin and I notice one of my female have this yellow looking bubble coming out of her butt. Anyone have any idea what is this? So far i isolated her, is it safe to put her pack into bin.
DSC03222.jpg

DSC03223.jpg

Sapphire

Sub-Adult Member
I wouldn't put her back in the bin. Another user posted here a while back with a picture of a female dubia with strange white stuff coming out of her, and someone said it is her internal organs I think, and the roach ended up dying a few days later. I'm not sure if this is the same thing since I'm definitely not a roach expert, but I would definitely keep her separate from the rest.

Prodigyitachi

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
haha. The female dubia is still alive :shock: . Most likely I prob squished it w/ the egg crates. Sad, wish it was a male or male nymph.

Sapphire

Sub-Adult Member
Prodigyitachi":1ibj9db4 said:
haha. The female dubia is still alive :shock: . Most likely I prob squished it w/ the egg crates. Sad, wish it was a male or male nymph.

It is sad. If your dragon is big enough you might as well feed her off, I don't think she'll be having any more babies ever again so there's no real point in keeping her in your colony.

Prodigyitachi

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
My beardie is 1 month away from being one year :D so she prob cant handle any adults yet. For some reason i feel sad feeding off the female or any female :shock: . I don't feel anything when i feed of my nymphs (beardie) or male (RES turtle). Whats wrong w/ me, i mean its just roaches :p.
Oh I found one female today that have her egg sack sticking out but its all curled up at the end like a "P", not even straight. Sorry don't have pic of that since i didnt want to move any egg crates around.

Sapphire

Sub-Adult Member
Prodigyitachi":26c9g242 said:
My beardie is 1 month away from being one year :D so she prob cant handle any adults yet. For some reason i feel sad feeding off the female or any female :shock: . I don't feel anything when i feed of my nymphs (beardie) or male (RES turtle). Whats wrong w/ me, i mean its just roaches :p.
Oh I found one female today that have her egg sack sticking out but its all curled up at the end like a "P", not even straight. Sorry don't have pic of that since i didnt want to move any egg crates around.

Someone told me that a beardie can eat an adult dubia once it reaches the 16" mark but it's probably a good idea to wait until she's a year old, just to be safe. So I guess you just have a pet female dubia with white goop hanging out her bum. :mrgreen:

Trogdorpheus

Juvie Member
That's not an eggsac... so no.

Dubia have a much softer chitin than many feeders, so nearing the 1 year mark you'd be plenty fine feeding adults to your beardie (assuming normal growth of your beardie). My girl has been eating adult discoids for about 2 months now, and she's maybe 10 months, and 17.5 - 18" now.

As for them bearing live young... technically speaking they don't. They fertilize an egg, which is transferred to basically an internal incubator inside of the female dubia. Then when they hatch, they come back out of the female, giving the appearance of live birth, where technically they were egg born, it's just the egg was carried around for the entire duration.

Prodigyitachi

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Trogdorpheus":6r8pytw8 said:
That's not an eggsac... so no.

Dubia have a much softer chitin than many feeders, so nearing the 1 year mark you'd be plenty fine feeding adults to your beardie (assuming normal growth of your beardie). My girl has been eating adult discoids for about 2 months now, and she's maybe 10 months, and 17.5 - 18" now.

As for them bearing live young... technically speaking they don't. They fertilize an egg, which is transferred to basically an internal incubator inside of the female dubia. Then when they hatch, they come back out of the female, giving the appearance of live birth, where technically they were egg born, it's just the egg was carried around for the entire duration.
As title says "Not an egg sack"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom