New baby beardie, around 3 weeks old 7 inches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrHM1020

Hatchling Member
I just got a new beardie thats 3weeks old and is 7 inches from tip of head to tip of tail! Is that normal size or large or small for its size? Sex is apparently unkown at the moment. So i just call him/her spike lol (i know not so original) but i like it. Spike is very active and poops regularly. My first day with him and i already got him to eat collard greens! He also eats crickets. I order pinheads but got 1/2 to 3/4 inch ones. I was hesitant towards feeding him that at first but he ate it without any problem and poops regularly. My only concern is he eats around 8 per meal and 2 meals per day, with a food dish full of veggies and pellet food and water dish in the viv at all times. So i was wondering is he eating a little because the cricket size is too big and would be equivelant to several pinheads? ANd should i feed him 3 meals a day? Also people say to wait several days before handling i try to follow this rule but my brother doesnt at all. The reason is it eats and poops regularly, basks for several hours, is always alert, and moves alott, and it isnt skittish at all. So since it seems comfortable i was wondering is it okay to handle even though tommorrow will be my 3rd day with it? I mean it literally walks and clings to my hand and arm without any worries at all. So is handling at this early stage good or will it damage/and or stress it? Finally i dont like crickets that much so i was wondering if baby superworms 1/2inch size are healthy staples for baby beardies or juveniles/adults for that matter. If so where can i order them online and if not where can i order cheap bulks of phoenix worms which i hear are healthy but are gone through alot, due to them being so small. Please post a response to any of these questions. Thanks to anyone who helps!! :D

MrHM1020

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Also i would like to know if an undertank heater could burn my BD. I was told to turn it off during the day and at night to turn it on only if temps drop below 65. Is this accurate or would i be better off with returning the undertank heater and just getting a night glo bulb?

jeserah

Sub-Adult Member
meh, I would use a ceramic heat bulb instead, but that's just me. I've not used an undertank heater, so I can't really give them a thumbs up or down.

also, I thought 7 inches was closer to a 2 month old dragon. That baby must have been in an egg the size of a golf ball, haha! My three week old baby is maybe 4.75 inches.

definitions

Juvie Member
A good staple feeder is baby silk worms when the dragon is a baby I would change the size of cricket to a 2week old cricket whick is 1/4" cricket that size is perfect for a baby . Stay away from super worms until he gets older and bigger. People use crickets cuz they are the cheapest staple. Stick with those for now cuz when money is tight they will be th ebest for him. Also don't forget to dust your feeders with calcium powder every feeding.

Toyguy

Juvie Member
Heat pads are bad cause beardies don't feel heat well from below and can burn themselves before they can tell they are too hot. And they don't need/want light at night, so get a ceramic heat emitter if you need to keep the temps up at 65 or so.

My only advice about the handling part, is if you two are alright with hanging out then its cool. But if does change behavior don't freak out and just back off for a few days... With my new beardie (not baby) I just sat next to cage and talked to him. Where working on the trust right now. Was a rescue though. But babies want to learn to trust u too.

MrHM1020

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thx guys for ure help. I would also like to know when u get Ceramic heat emmiters u only use it at night when the temperature is below 60 like in winter? OR do u use it every night regardless? ANd should i buy another lamp or just take out the basking light bulb out of my lamp and use the CHE at night? Thx again

definitions

Juvie Member
Only use it at night when the temps drop below 60 or if you live in really cold climate and can't seem to get your temps correct. and as far as switching the bulbs in and out it all depends on you lol I know I am lazy so I would go and buy another fixture.

MrHM1020

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Okay thx and since my beardies is still really young i was considering replacing my 100watt halogen bulb with a 150 watt bulb to get more heat. I know halogen bulbs are supposed to get really hot but i have my lamp placed like 1 foot from my tank screen(i have it that far because that was the only place i can clamp the clamp lamp) and the tank screen is 4 inches higher than the basking branch it sits on. So a total of 16inches away(The branch is high up cuz its a 40gl zilla critter cage, so i want to take advantage of it.The 100watt keeps basking spot at around 95 but i hear i need 105-115 for proper digestion. This morning he only ate 2 crickets :? . So would a 150 watt be good to emitt more heat?

definitions

Juvie Member
you probably wouldn't need another bulb, you just need to get the fixture closer to the screen. For my babies I just use

Zoo Med Reptile UVA Basking Spot Lamp 50 watts The bulbs keeps my temps to 110 you can get em at petsmart,petco or here
[url=http://www.petmountain.com/pr...72/zoo-med-reptile-uva-basking-spot-lamp.html[/url]

and I have a clamp lamp stand to adjust the height of my fixture these you can also get at petsmart, petco, or here

http://www.petmountain.com/show_pro...ce=celebros&utm_medium=search&utm_term=521007

you can use which ever wattage you seem necessary and just adjust the height of the stand that i posted below.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
MrHM1020, what type of thermometer are you using to check the temps?

MrHM1020

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Digital thermometer with probe. I got the 150 watt bulb and now temps can be controlled i can keept it anywhere from 90-110. Its all good now :D . Also i dumped my under tank heater and got a ceramic heat emitter. Id like to know wat temps should be maintained at night for a beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom