HELP! my Beardie's impacted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReptiEpIc

Hi everyone!

I need help fast!

I have a 8 month old beardie, I think she's female
I have been keeping her on reptile carpet to 6 months old, and on tile for two months
I thought she was old enough so I decided to go with play sand. Yesterday, when I picked her up, (this was at 9 am) I immediately felt this bump near her spine, you can definitely feel that its sand! I already read some articles on impaction before then and gave her a bath right after I noticed the bumps of sand
She was in alot of pain, and I gently massaged her belly for 15 mins long, till the first bump passed trough.
This was 1 out of 3 bumps, she still has two sand bumps in there, I am keeping her on paper towel now
She is still alert and have no problem at all moving around. Her colours is bright and beautiful as always!
No black beard! I keep giving her a bath every 4 hours to help her. I gave her two drops of olive oil yesterday which seemed to help, because she pooped, but not much, the size of this icon >>>> :!:
I gave her a drop again this morning, and then some baby apple food, she licked it right off! And then a warm bath massaging her belly. But still no luck, she still has a lot of sand bumps, I can't believe she consumed this much sand in two days! And then boom, about 4 hours ago, she passed again some sand, but verryyy little. But still, If I don't do something now, it's going to get serious. I am really trying hard to get her to her old self again.

The worst part is, THERE IS NO VET NEAR ME! Only one good vet I know of about 5 hours drive from me, thats a very long distance, there just have to be something to do else?

Please help me trough this!

Thank you very much!
*from a very worried beardie owner*

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
You can also try canned pumpkin (just plain canned pumpkin, not the pie filling)
And keep on with the baths.

ReptiEpIc

Original Poster
She still has that bright colours, no black beard! which I think is good, she still eats very well, and is alert.
She moves around the cage with ease. But my only problem now is that the sand isn't loose in there anymore, it's starting to compact together!!! What can I do!? NO VET NEAR ME!!

SoarHigh

I don't know what to say other than to keep massaging that beardie and keep giving it olive oil. ): I heard applesauce works wonders too.

ReptiEpIc

Original Poster
SoarHigh":25n3xfyf said:
I don't know what to say other than to keep massaging that beardie and keep giving it olive oil. ): I heard applesauce works wonders too.

will keep doing that thanks!

AMHaak

Juvie Member
Yes, just keep doing what you are doing, and it should pass. Some times my beardie gets impactions from eating to many super worms, so then I give him some baby food and wait for a couple of days. with in 2-3 day he will have on hugo poo. I would say if she is not getting better with in the next 3-4 days then you are going to have to take her to a vet.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes, certainly keep up the frequent baths and the massages. The 100% pumpkin works very well. Also, heating the baby food applesauce so that it is quite warm seems to make a difference too. After the bath, massages and pumpkin or applesauce, blot her dry and place her on a warmed rice sock. All those steps have really helped a lot.

ReptiEpIc

Original Poster
GREAT NEWS!

I can't believe it! Almost all the sand is cleared! It's 6 days now since she's impacted, I just kept on daily with all the tips you guys gave me. She passed some sand everyday and every now and then, I just kept on and on, knowing that she'll make it, and from 3 big bulges of sand, I can only feel 1! and it's loose, not compacted, so THANK you everyone for helping, she is almost 100% (99.9% at the moment) :D :D :D

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's great, you stuck with it and it paid off, good job. What substrate are you using now?

ReptiEpIc

Original Poster
diamc":31wutdh6 said:
That's great, you stuck with it and it paid off, good job. What substrate are you using now?

I am using paper towl at the moment but I'm thinking of getting repticarpet for the winter (which is now in my country) and then later on maybe in the summer, tile the whole cage. When winter comes again, I'll just put the carpet over the cold tiles, think it'll work? oh and she just passed some sand again about 2 hours ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom