What should healthy poop look like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sapphire

Sub-Adult Member
This might sound odd, but can someone who knows their beardie does NOT have parasites post a picture of his/her poo?

My beardie's poo has been varying degrees of wet/runny for quite a while, and it almost always smells horrendous.

When I first got him, I was just happy that he pooped. I don't recall it being really smelly, and I know it wasn't shapeless or runny... A couple weeks later, I noticed a mite on him and had to put his entire enclosure through the crazy cleaning procedure with bleach solution and stuff. After that is when I noticed his poo starting to look really shapeless and not "turd"-like. My theory is that he had the parasites when I got him, but the ordeal with the mite stressed him out (he had to be out of his enclosure all day while I cleaned it, I had to keep him in a box) and let the parasites get out of control. Either that or he somehow got them from Petco crickets that I'd had to buy to hold me over til a bulk order came in.
Anyway, I took his poo to the vet shortly afterwards and got meds, after the first treatment his poo get more shape to it, but it still looked kinda off, y'know? So I got another fecal done after those meds were gone, and the parasites were still there, just less of them. They just repeated his meds, and recommended reptile xtra. I haven't been back to the vet since (the reptile xtra is a treatment that lasts over the course of three weeks, so I finished the vet meds, got the reptile xtra and started treating him with that).
So basically it's been over a month since his last fecal.

Mainly, the only thing "wrong" with his poo right now is that the paper towels around it are always really wet. Some days it's worse than others. His poop itself always looks kind of wet, not runny or shapeless, but it looks pretty wet and the paper towel is always wet, usually it soaks clear through to the glass. I don't know if the paper towel is wet because it absorbs the moisture from the poo, or because there's extra moisture coming out when he actually poo's, or what... I won't have a chance to take another poo to the vet til sometime next week, so I can't find out for sure if the reptile xtra helped until then. He might still have parasites, he might not. I don't know.

But, mainly I just want a picture of a healthy poo so I can have a reference point.

I never thought I would ask anyone for a picture of poop. :shock:
(but I know all you other loving beardie mommies and daddies understand... so it's not super weird and/or awkward)

lammi

not a expert by any means but i have raised 4 adults and 7 clutches of babies
all of mine have formed but wet poops
Im happy with wet , it lets me know they are getting plenty of moister in there diet
I read in the wild their poop can be very dry because they dont get enough to drin
There poop does stink , but then again so does mine :shock:

Sapphire

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Haha, well that makes you more of an expert than me. I have about two and a half months worth of personal experience with a single bearded dragon. I do wonder sometimes if mine has normal poop or not. That's kind of why I wanted a picture. I will take his poo to the vet as soon as I get a chance, but that won't be for at least a week... It just worries me because there's so much wetness soaked into the paper towel. I don't know if that's normal...

lammi

never had a dragon with a dry poop, always very wet, do take to vet for sample to be sure
One thing i read somewhere is that all reptiles have parasites
When they r healthy there body keeps them in check, if they get stressed or sick they cause problems
just like a car mecanic be sure you have a honest vetAs long as dragon is eating well and pooping wet or other he is most likely fine

healthybeardie

Juvie Member
You're not the only one obsessing about your beardies poop! lol.

I worried too in the beginning about the extreme water but now I am relieved to know this is normal. Especially the day after a soak/bath. As long as it is formed its okay. I notice Luther's poo smells worse after he eats a lot of mustard greens :shock: I worry all the time about the coloring but when you think about it our poop color changes too depending on what we eat.

Sapphire

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Okay, this is very reassuring. I will definitely still take some of his poo to the vet as soon as possible for another check-up, hopefully he's parasite free now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom