Baby Bearded Dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have fifteen newborn baby bearded dragons. We are feeding them well but they keep on biting each others tails. I can't get them to stop. What should I do?

gogga

Juvie Member
Its not a good idea ti have more than 5 per viv. I would suggest split them up, or if the viv is big enough divide it

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You will need to separate them into at least groups of 3 or 5 right now. Also, if you are not keeping them fed enough, they are going to nip & bite each other constantly.
Keeping greens & veggies in for them all day will help, but, you will need to maintain a good eye on the ones that are more aggressive so you can separate those from the others.

Tracie

kennethcarlson

Original Poster
Now the nipping is under control, but I think the babies whose tails where nipped are getting tail rot. The tips of the tails are turning black and it doesn't look good. What is the best way to solve this? :(

gogga

Juvie Member
I'm not sure what meds you get there. Can you call your local herp vet and ask for an ointment to put on their tails?
OR
I have read in many posts that Tracie (Drache613) is a boffin on meds. Maybe try PM'ing her or email.

AprilMayJune

Hatchling Member
Try bathing the babies in a betadine solution to help with the healing. Make sure it resembles a weak tea solution. Also, if your babies tend to drink while in the bath it is suggested to add the betadine AFTER they drink so they don't injest it.

I would also dab a little bit of polysporin on the tail nips in the meantime until you can consult your herp vet.

spyder79

Extreme Poster
if you do not know what you are doing you need to take them to a vet to be looked at. If the tails turn necrotic you will have to have the dead tail snipped off plus a little bit above the affected area to stop the infection. Then a antibiotic ointment and betadine baths will help it heal. But if the tail is necrotic and is left unchecked the infection will hit the blood stream and the animal will die.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom