Rectal Prolapse

Status
Not open for further replies.

javeroy

Hey everyone,

I've had my beardie for 2 1/2 years, and we actually thought it was a male until she laid eggs a couple of months ago. This morning I woke up, and she'd laid another clutch again, but while straining to get them out, she ended up with a rectal prolapse. We don't have any herp vets where I live, but I called my vet and he said, although he doesn't really have reptile experience, that the best thing was to keep it moist, use KY and try to gently massage it back in. While I was talking to him, I had her soaking in the bathtub with warm water and it actually went back in on it's own.

Has anyone had this happen before? This really freaked me out, especially since I know that once it has happened, they become more prone to it. I was wanting to breed her after her next brumation (sp?), but now I'm wondering if I should because I don't want her to end up with this again. I could tell she was in a lot of pain, and the closest herp vet is 6 hours away if it does happen again. I know just from doing some reading online that we were really lucky it went back in on it's own. Anyone have any suggestions?

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
I bet that was scary! The only other thing that I know to recommend is to bath in sugar water. If I remember right, it is supposed to be lukewarm sugar water.
I hope that it does not happen anymore

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry this has happened to your girl.
You are correct, she may be more prone to it happening in the future now that it has happened initially. This weakens the muscles when this happens.
Are you using a good UVB light? What type & brand of UVB do you use, a fluorescent tube bulb or a compact/coil light? How old is the light?
Are you giving calcium supplementation on a regular basis?

Tracie

javeroy

Original Poster
I'm using the SolarGlo 125W (just read on here that they're not that great after all), but it's only a couple of months old. She gets calcium/D3 on her crickets which is every 3 days, and pellets with her salad every day. l haven't had her since she was a baby; she was owned before I had her, and that wasn't the best home as they rarely fed her. Some research I was doing while trying to figure this out stated that it could be caused by an ion deficiency that occurs in the first couple years of life, so even if she's being fed properly now it could still be an underlying problem of being partially starved as a baby. I'm just hoping to avoid this in the future.

Sardonyx

Hey :)

I never had a prolapse with my beardie, Flynn, but I did experience quite a bad one with my Royal Python, Lola, a while back. As Jiffy said, bathe her in lukewarm sugar-water and it SHOULD retract.

So far, touch wood, Lola hasn't had another. For her it turned out she must have been a little dehydrated, and since then she has had some really massive poo's without problem!!

Did she seem to be agitated much before laying her clutch? I read that sometimes if they can't find what they deem as a suitable place to lay their eggs, they literally hold onto them for longer than they should, causing them to grow too large to pass easily. Perhaps this time they were just that bit too big, and it may not happen again! Maybe she's a bit picky, so if you were to breed her again, watch to see if she keeps digging all over the place but not laying.

I'm not an expert: I've never bred a beardie. Just passing on what I have seen elsewhere! Hope it's of use!!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today?
That is correct, if they do not have a suitable lay place or nest, quite often they will not lay which causes them to begin having some problems of retaining the eggs.
If your dragon had some nutritional problems when she was young, then yes, that can follow them into adulthood as well.
Unfortunately, the Solar Glos are not very good this year. The company changed their specs & the UVB emissions are not very strong at all. So, since you are overseas, you should be able to find the Arcadia D3 12% tube bulb. That bulb is stronger than the Solar Glo is believe it or not. So, when you get a chance, try to replace the Solar Glo.
Also, getting her on some liquid calcium would be a good idea, as well.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

javeroy

Original Poster
She's doing well now. Eating like normal, and just sitting under her light looking bored, as usual. =) I've never heard of that light...is it available in Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom