My Leatherback Hypo Trans babies have arrived!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

koiboydavid

Hatchling Member
Had to share the good news with you guys as most of my non-herp friends dont have a clue as to how cool this is! Weirdos!
This little guy came from crossing a quad het. leatherback to a Hypo het trans citrus so these little guys have some healthy genetics behind them. Only got four out of the clutch but man am I excited!!! :blob5:

DSC_1177.jpg

koiboydavid

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks!

Cool Tom! Didnt realize you were coming down. First time show so should be interesting. Whatcha bringing that I can get a sneak peek of??

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Im bringing some simple sandfire crosses.
I have 5 left from my valentines hatchlings. Cawley red x orange sandfire.
And im bringing some of peaches hypo babies. From nice looking to nuclear....lol
The hypos are in the forsale section as well as 1 of the valentines babys.

greathouseFarm

Juvie Member
Please forgive my ignorance as I am new to all this but I have to ask. If you only got 4 out of the clutch what happened to the rest? My other question is you said quad het so I was trying to figure out what the 4th is? Hypo / Trans / Leather / ?

greathouseFarm

Juvie Member
wouldn't silk be considered the same as leatherback since the same gene is responsible for this mutation? one dragon can't carry both the lb gene and the silk gene. Maybe the fourth het he was referring to was leucistic?

spyder79

Extreme Poster
Shabutie":29i54p3r said:
the last is silk

It is deffinately not silk a dragon can not be het for silkback.
I will not answer for David as to what his animal is het for but if it is a leather back than I have no idea what would be able to make it quad het. Hypo, trans, leather, and smoothie are the only genes that I know of that a dragon can be heterozygous for and if the animal was already a leather than there is a gene that I do not know (which is very possible).

greathouseFarm":29i54p3r said:
wouldn't silk be considered the same as leatherback since the same gene is responsible for this mutation? one dragon can't carry both the lb gene and the silk gene. Maybe the fourth het he was referring to was leucistic?

Silkback is the superform of leatherback only resulting from the pairing of 2 visual leathers. and leucistic in bearded dragons is purely a marketing term and not a genetic morph at all. There are no true leucistic bearded dragons.

greathouseFarm

Juvie Member
Oh I did not want to bring up the whole leuc debate or anything. I was only trying to speculate what he could have been referring to the 4th het. I have been sold two dragons from very reputable breeders who both called them Luecistic, but they are also both hypo so for our purposes we will be dropping the leuc from their descriptions. What I don't understand is why is the leatherback gene so complicated. Why is leatherback sibling not referred to as a poss het as it would in any other gene. I have been breeding rabbits for a long time so I am very familiar with Pundit squares and gene marking. I guess I have a lot to learn about the reptile world.

koiboydavid

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Sorry that I havent responded in so long. For some reason I didn't catch the email notification that there was activity on this posting.

There is an argument out there that the american smoothie and recessive leather are two different genes. Then you have the co-dominant Italian leather trait. The genetics behind all of this is confusing to say the least and I am definitely no expert. I am sure there is someone out there that can go into more detail regarding the difference between american smoothie and recessive leather, if there is indeed one. I have heard that dragons of these two types have been bred together and gotten nothing but normals which would back the claim that these two traits are different. Keep in mind that with the co-dominant genes out there (ie. Italian Leatherback) siblings are either visible (gene carrier) or they are normal (they are not hets. or poss. hets.). You can only be het. for recessive genes.

Either way, these dragons are around a month old now and are amazing looking. I have posted some new pics on my website. I will post some updates on here when I am on my computer. I am using a friends computer in Atlanta at the Repticon show!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom