Getting enough UVB Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveW

So I recently got my bearded dragon with a zilla basic desert kit (10 gallon tank) since he is still a small guy. The desert kit came with two bulbs, a 50 watt day white light and a 50 watt night black heat. I have been doing some reading and from my understanding bearded dragons need sufficient uvb light so they can absorb vitamins properly. I am not quite sure if either of these are providing enough UVB. Should I go out and get him a light that says specifically UVB or are the ones I have good enough? I just want to make sure he is getting the proper lighting. Below is a picture of how I currently have the light setup. The light on the left I leave on for about 14 hours a day which is the day white light. The light on the right is the night black heat light and is what I turn on at night for about 12 hours (and yes I turn off the other light during this time). Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

d2W98.jpg

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Is the the bulb you have for daytime? http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=1951

If so.....
Neither of the bulbs you have are sources of UVB. What you want is a Reptisun 10.0 incandescent tube like this... http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-fluorescent-bulbs/504983/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-bulb.html
You want to stay away from any reptiglo, compact, or coil bulbs all have been known to cause health issues.

The black light is really unnecessary as beardie prefer it to be dark when sleeping light of any kind will disturb their rest which can affect the immune system and colored lights are not good for their eyes either. You don't need any addition heat at night unless your house drops below 65* if so then I would suggest the CHE(ceramic heat emitter). The CHE screws into the hood and puts out now light just warmth. If you must use the black one make sure that the baby is tucked away where the light isn't shining in his face.

Other than UVB one of the next most important things are temps. An I couldn't help but notice you have one of the dial type. I found those to but up to 20* an even when not you can not actually get a basking temp with one. The basking temp needs to be taken directly on the basking spot where your baby sits. If it is under 95* then your baby will have difficulty digesting food and the little beardies like that temp to be around 105* to 110*. I suggest a digital probe thermometer with the probe attached to basking spot. Or a no contact thermometer/infrared temp gun. However he needs a cool end ranging between 70* and 80* this is going to be difficult with a 10gal

DaveW

Original Poster
So I ended up ordering the reptisun 10.0 bulb with the hood. The bulb measures 18" in length while the 10 gallon tank itself is only 20" in length. From my understanding bearded dragons need a gradient of temperature through out the tank. Is this going to be a problem or should I get a bigger tank and if I do is it going to be too big for a baby bearded dragon?

I have almost the same thing. I ordered the reptisun with hood, got rid of the black night light thing (it's useless). So now i just have the uvb tube on the left and a 100 watt household bulb on the right. I got a indoor/outdoor thermometer from Walmart so i could make sure the temps were correct. 100-110on hot side and around 80 on the other side.

You need to get a bigger tank. I have been researching a lot and i need a big enclosure to put in the living room, like as a piece of furniture. I really can't wait to get him all set up nice. They need a lot of room and it kinda makes me mad that these cages are being sold for new owners. I wish i knew more before we got our lil guy, but i am thankful for this site because i have learned a lot.

Good luck.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Dave, that's good that you ordered the Repti-Sun fluorescent bulb. When you get it set up, make sure it is 6 to 8" from your beardie and right alongside the white basking bulb so your beardie can get the benefit of both bulbs while in the basking spot.

I also would agree with Barb, that you need to invest in either an infrared temperature gun or a digital thermometer with a long wire & probe end as those are the ONLY 2 ways to get accurate readings.

I also agree that it is really impossible to be able to set up a 10 gallon that would allow proper thermoregulating with good basking & cool side temps.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
DaveW":3io1jvl6 said:
So I ended up ordering the reptisun 10.0 bulb with the hood. The bulb measures 18" in length while the 10 gallon tank itself is only 20" in length. From my understanding bearded dragons need a gradient of temperature through out the tank. Is this going to be a problem or should I get a bigger tank and if I do is it going to be too big for a baby bearded dragon?
Normally Dave I suggest that people start out with a larger viv minimum 40gal breeder. This way you don't have to buy 2 separate light set ups. Because your beardie will very soon out grow the one you have. It's even okay to start off with one even bigger yet like a 60gal just partition part of it off if you feel it's to big. This way beardie wouldn't have to go through relocation stress later when having to upgrade. Does that make sense?

The UVB should stretch the length of your enclosure. Incandescent bulbs don't put out much if any heat if this was your worry about gradient temps. :wink: The Reptisun will not affect the cool end temps. :)

lilguysmom":3io1jvl6 said:
So now i just have the uvb tube on the left and a 100 watt household bulb on the right.
Lilguysmom, may I offer a suggestion? You actually want the UVB and basking bulb to overlap over the basking spot for your beardie to benefit from both while basking. :wink:

Thanks Barbara, yeah i will eventually have that for him, but it's impossible with such a small tank right now. I can't wait to get him in a bigger house!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom