Do Beardies make noises?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickeysmomma

Sub-Adult Member
I have heard a small hiss before, but that's it. Wonder why they don't make any other noises. I almost wish they did :mrgreen:

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
One of mine will hiss, the other two do not make any noises. (other than glass dancing, banging into the glass)

jeserah

Sub-Adult Member
Ohh, I saw this post and I had to respond!

I'm an animal biology major, just 1.25 quarters away from graduation (xmas time can't come soon enough!). Anyway, from all the knowledge I've gained at my university and college, I would like to make an educated guess about the lack vocalization that bearded dragons exhibit.

I think most reptiles make little, if any noise unless they live in the tropics, where thermoregulation isn't much of an issue due to the lack of temperature fluctuation, or if the reptile has some sort of defense mechanism they want to make known (like the rattlesnake and it's rattle/venom combo). I think that beardie's don't make noise because it's energetically expensive, but more than that, they are dependent upon outside temps for most of their actions. If there was a stimulus that the dragons responded to with noise, like a mating call, they'd be sitting ducks for predators that heard that mating call, especially if they couldn't get away fast enough. They're not the fastest lizard in the outback, so it would make sense anyway that they'd want to keep quiet.

Anyway, that's just my little hypothesis!

Phoenix17June2009

Gray-bearded Member
jeserah":38pkh1v7 said:
Ohh, I saw this post and I had to respond!

I'm an animal biology major, just 1.25 quarters away from graduation (xmas time can't come soon enough!). Anyway, from all the knowledge I've gained at my university and college, I would like to make an educated guess about the lack vocalization that bearded dragons exhibit.

I think most reptiles make little, if any noise unless they live in the tropics, where thermoregulation isn't much of an issue due to the lack of temperature fluctuation, or if the reptile has some sort of defense mechanism they want to make known (like the rattlesnake and it's rattle/venom combo). I think that beardie's don't make noise because it's energetically expensive, but more than that, they are dependent upon outside temps for most of their actions. If there was a stimulus that the dragons responded to with noise, like a mating call, they'd be sitting ducks for predators that heard that mating call, especially if they couldn't get away fast enough. They're not the fastest lizard in the outback, so it would make sense anyway that they'd want to keep quiet.

Anyway, that's just my little hypothesis!

NICE!! :mrgreen: oh btw... only 7 months to go buddy!!!

Reapix

Hatchling Member
they hiss i believe other then that no idk why complain about quietness :D lucky theyre not constantly annoying u rite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom