help ID baby lizard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoey

Sub-Adult Member
I live in Southern CA, and I found this little guy in my back yard underneath some dead sod. Anyone know what kind of reptile this is?

IMG_1886.jpg

melissa102787

Hatchling Member
Looks like a red back Salamander. It is an amphibian, not a lizard :)

I wouldn't try keeping it, they need a moist terrarium( don't put it in water, it cannot swim well at all). And they eat tiny bugs. I keep some salamanders and i have to mist them everyday and buy special food for them.

Zoey

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
A salamander? That's weird. No water anywhere nearby, but I do water the small patch grass in my backyard everyday. He was keeping nice and moist under a patch of dead sod. I think I'll put him back where I found him....I'd feel bad if he died in my care. I really don't know how to take care of a salamander.

Zoey

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I put him back under the sod where I found him last weekend. I looked for him the next day, but did not see him. It's a mystery as to where he came from, I guess. It's usually very dry around where I live.... creeks are scarce. Although it had been unusually rainy and wet this spring. Our backyard had flooded. I hope the little guy made it OK. :(

melissa102787

Hatchling Member
As long as he finds moisture, he will be fine :)
I grew up in CA and found them all the time under rocks and boards. Sometimes no where near ponds or creeks. That particular salamander is terrestrial and not aquatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom