Nathaniel, Cierra, Castiel, Freya, Grrl; RIP GABRIEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
We never expected to get another dragon, but our neighbours next door wanted to give away Cleo, as he was called. We'd babysat him before, he's such a sweetheart. We nicknamed him Velcro because when he snuggles he never wants to go back to his viv, he hangs on as if he's made out of velcro.

So here he is. Today was his first day with us. He ate 13 supers and ate some squash, not bad for the first day he was here. He's only in a 30 gallon tank, which will be ok for now. He's 18" long but weighs only 200g. We figure he's probably 2 yrs old. Our neighbours rescued him last fall, they found him and a female (which they named Puff) on Craig's list. They were in a 30 gallon dirty tank, with sand and a huge log that took up 1/2 the space in the tank. Leo was at the bottom, he was sooooo skinny. He's gained weight, but never got the attention he deserved. I took some pics today, but will take more tomorrow. I think he remembers our place as didn't get stressed as I expected. No stress marks at all. When we let him run around the living room, he noticed our girls and immediate black beard, so his hormones are working!

He had a bath this morning, had a big poop, no smell, so not worried about parasites.

So here are a few pics, he's a yellow & dark gray, light gray colour.

Under the communal power sun in the living room:
sweetie2008401.jpg

Discovering there are girls in those tanks up above, he has a great black beard for such a skinny boy:
sweetie2008403.jpg

On the couch, he's got a pretty diamond pattern on his back:
sweetie2008412.jpg

sweetie2008413.jpg

Hope you enjoy
Deb and my six dragons :D :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: :( :love5:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Hi Jane, thanks for your kind words. Dino was a feisty little guy, he'd had bad husbandry his whole life. It was nice to have him for 5 days before he passed.

Leo and Lonzo actually tease each other, it's quite funny. Lonzo would normally not be able to see Leo, but he'll go to other vantage points & blackbeard. Most of the time Leo's content in his tank, he's on a tall table & looks out of the window & he can see the courtyard, so they're getting used to being in the same room.

Sweetie and Issy are busy laying eggs, it's Issy's turn next, she's very close to laying her 2nd clutch. Sweeti'e already lain 3 clutches and it's only April :roll: :shock: They're both in good health, which helps. Both of them are also shedding, how weird :mrgreen:

Rubio is shedding, poor thing. He hates shedding & it's in bits & pieces; one arm, his face, beard, one leg, parts of another leg. So he's just quiet & miserable & not eating a while lot.

So it's a subdued bunch, mainly, our weather is still overcast, hopefully we get some sun, soon!

Crush and Boodah look great, Boodah sure has an amazing appetite, he'll be big and strong before you know it! It's funny that Boodah doesn't given an inch to Crush, he knows who was in your house 1st.

I'm off to work soon, have to get ready, I'll catch up soon. Glad everyone had a great time at the beardie party last weekend on the blog!

Take care, HUGS to you guys, glad your dragons are doing so well!
Deb and my zoo

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
I'm so sorry about Dino. Although he had bad husbandry before you got him, he didn't look unhealthy at all. As we all know, bad husbandry can cause internal issues though, and I guess that's what was wrong with him. I'm so glad that he had even a few days of happiness with you though. What a wonderful gift to him!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Thanks Sandi, it was a big shock, worse was that our vet was closed for the day. We sure enjoyed him while he was with us, and he seemed to enjoy the love, too. He flinched every time either of us got near him when we first got him home, but by Wed he was calm and had no problem being picked up. Poor little guy...we still miss him.

Deb

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Deb, I was just looking at the pics of Dino that you posted. I noticed in the first couple of pics the look in his eye that he wasn't quite sure of you. When I saw the pic of him in the chair, he was deffinitely at ease with you.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Thanks, that's a great compliment, we were very proud that we took the fear out of him. We only had him a couple of days when he realized he could trust us and everything went fine after that. Friday was a huge shock, we thought he was doing so well. He knew he was loved, though, before he died.

Deb and Roger

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I didn't realize so much time has gone by since I posted any pics. I'm going to post pics of the rest of our dragons, too. I think you know some of them; they've been getting spring energy lately & have been doing funny things, so here's Leo, Issy, Sweetie, Rubio & Lonzo:

Leo trying to escape from the living room so he can bob Rubio
sweetie2008788.jpg

sweetie2008789.jpg

sweetie2008786.jpg

Leo enjoys jumping around on Roger's big chair and really likes the stereo remote, he can switch stations if he wants:
sweetie2008773.jpg

sweetie2008775.jpg

So here's the rest of the dragon zoo doing their spring fever things;

Lonzo is 7 yrs old; we adopted him Sept/08 & we decided to give him the run of the small bedroom/computer room so he could run around & get lots of exercise. He has a 160W Power Sun on a lampstand just over him on the windowsill, he also has a 40 gallon breeder to sleep in:
sweetie2008782.jpg

sweetie2008780.jpg

Sweetie is 4 yrs old and was our first beardie, we adopted her in Aug/06. She's the Queen of our household and a major egg layer.
We sure learned alot from this site, she had alot of issues when we first got her:
Sweetie waking up:
sweetie2008776.jpg

Sweetie has a spa in her tank, just river rocks, no water. She really likes it, the rocks are cool on her tummy:
sweetie2008685-1.jpg

sweetie2008688-1.jpg

Rubio is an upstanding beardie, he's 1 1/2 yrs old and our biggest beardie:
hanging off the side of Dad's big chair:
sweetie2008676-1.jpg

hanging onto the water bottle:
sweetie2008634.jpg

I see him like this often in his 75 gallon tank. He can't escape but gives it a good try:
sweetie2008706-1.jpg

sweetie2008707-1.jpg

Issy is also 18 mo old, both Issy and Rubio were rescues from a pet shop in Oct/08, Issy lost about 1/2 of her tail & Rubio lost some fingers and toes from a hungry tankmate:
Issy has recently started to lay infertile eggs (as if Sweetie wasn't enough)
we have 2 lay boxes, as the girls are laying constantly. Sweetie's laid 3 clutches since Jan & Issy just laid clutch#2, just 3 weeks apart from clutch #1, all the eggs are infertile.
Issy also likes Dad's chair and the remote:
sweetie2008666-1.jpg

She got very round when she was gravid:
sweetie2008769.jpg

sweetie2008770.jpg

And let me know when she wanted out of her tank, wanting to get into her lay box:
sweetie2008618-1.jpg

Then she lost alot of weight laying the eggs, but gains the weight back within a week. She's a very sturdy beardie!
sweetie2008751.jpg

So that's our zoo, they're all awake early & very active. The boys are always black bearding & bobbing & stamping even though they rarely see the girls anymore. Leo's tank is on a high table beside the computer. Lonzo's on the floor, he can't really see Leo, but he'll go to the other side of the room, so they can black beard & bob at each other. Yet they both keep their happy colours while doing this, so I think it's become a game. Funny!

Leo has gained weight, he's very energetic, swims for a couple of minutes in the bath daily, then runs around in his tank a good part of the day. He's also first up, so has time in the living room before the girls wake up. He eats more than the others right now, eats all his salad and supers, so he's happy. Lonzo's living on squash & a bit of raspberry daily, I've tried to greens into him, but he'll spit them out. He eats a few supers here and there, too. Rubio's appetite is picking up, Issy eats like a horse, as she's getting her weight back after laying her last batch of eggs. I sometimes feel that I'm in an egg factory!

They're all doing well, and they've helped Roger & I recoup after losing Angel, then Dino. It sure takes alot out of you when you lose your babies. They all keep us smiling & laughing with their antics.

Deb and my zoo

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Hi Deb!

Love seeing all the pic's of your zoo...really happy to hear that they were able to help you thru the heartfelt times. I don't know how people make it thru when they only have one and loose them...I personally would have just shut down when I lost Rocky, Peaches, Big Mama, Missy, or Junior if it would not have been for my other babies that needed my care.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Thanks Barbara, I just realized when I was posting the pics last night, that I'm at peace with losing April & Dino. I'd still be depressed, but with 5 other babies to take care of, it eased the pain in my heart.

I'm glad you enjoyed the pics, I have tons more. The ones of Leo checking out the lay box one morning is really funny, you just see a small yellow head poking up from under the cover. I'll post that set this eve.

Deb & my zoo

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Hello Deb! Your babies all look so happy and healthy! Loved all the pics. They keep you busy, don't they?! :lol:
Especially loved the ones of Rubio and him standing in all the pics, too funny!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Hi Dawn, how's Bligg doing, have to check out your thread. Rubio is always upright. He'll run around the dining room (that his own space now) and I'll find him up against the wall, looking silly. He's constantly trying to escape his 75 gallon tank (he was in a 40 gallon, but he did escape from it & was on his way to Issy's tank), still thinks he's in a smaller tank. He just cracks me up. Issy has been really busy making eggs, so has Sweetie, so now it's a guessing game as to which one will lay first. Luckily we have 2 lay boxes, which helps. So I'll post the pics of Leo checking out the laybox last week:

Ok Dad, inspection is done, it's all good to go for more egg laying!
sweetie2008742.jpg

sweetie2008744.jpg

Leo playing on the water feature that Roger found in the basement of our apartment. It was thrown out, but it works fine. We first put into Rocco's cage, that's our golden gecko; he hated it & wouldn't come near the front of his cage to be fed, so we put it on the floor, Leo jumps through it or climbs it every chance he gets:

Great way to cool off:
sweetie2008790.jpg

I'll get more pics updated on the weekend.

Deb & my zoo

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Aww! How cute is that pic of Leo on the water feature! He is such a hormonal little guy with all that blackbearding, LOL.
Bligg is doing okay. He has managed to get in a few worms over the past week, which I am very happy about. :D
Take care of your crew. They are a busy bunch, for sure!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Sweetie lay 17 eggs yesterday, one in front of the patio door, 15 in her laybox, and one after bath and cuddles in her tank. Hope this is the last of it, she's laid 4 infertile clutches since Jan 23.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Wow Deb, those are great pictures. Just look at all those black beards, their hormones are going overboard. :mrgreen:

You're right, Sweetie does look a lot like Sabrina, it's amazing. Good that she bounces back so quickly after laying all those eggs. Wow, 4 infertile clutches since January. :shock:

Love the positions that Rubio got himself into. Leo looks like quite a ham. :lol:

Your whole beardie family looks very healthy and happy, what a great beardie slave you are. :D

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
It's very sadly that I have to tell you that our Issy passed away this am. She became very ill very suddenly last night, we kept her breathing as long as we could, hoping to get her to the vet, as we had no idea what was wrong with her. She passed at 7a this morning. I'll be putting a memorial up for her as soon as possible, and I'll post some pics later, too. We loved her very much and our hearts are so sore. We still don't know what was wrong. She's with Angel and Dino and all the other beardies that have passed away and gone to Rainbow Bridge.

Deb and Roger

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Deb does Roger know now? I'm so sorry dear I know how sore your hearts must be from all the crying this month in loosing 3 of your babies. It's never easy but thank your stars you have your other scaly puppies to snuggle and comfort you.

CYBER HUGS! :love5:

Always thinking of you! :wink:

R.I.P. Little Miss Issy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom