Out of Cage and Basking Behavior Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeweysMom

Sub-Adult Member
I have a couple of minor concerns about Dewey that I'd like to get your input on just to see if it's normal. I'm not stressing over it, just curious to see if it's normal behavior for a beardie of his age. He's between 5 and 6 months old.

I try to let him out of his cage at least once a day if not more to get some excersize. During the week it's a bit difficult because I don't have time in the morning or afternoon to let him run around. Anyway, when I first got him he wanted nothing to do with being out of his cage, but now he seems to enjoy it. The "problem" is that he'll only be out for about 10-15 minutes before he'll go over to the blanket I toss on the floor and then he'll get all snuggled in and fall asleep.

I still consider him a baby (he's between 5-6 months) and I know babies need their sleep, but at the same time aren't they supposed to be curious and more active? Is this normal behavior as far as out of the cage exploration goes? I would expect him to be out for a bit longer burning off some energy. I guess what I'm trying to ask is how long your beardies stay out before they crash somewhere.

Also, in his cage he never leaves his basking area. He's got a one of those half wood log caves, a corner cave, and a hammock which he never uses. He's always on his basking log except for when he comes down to eat. I've seen so many pictures on BD.org of beardies enjoying their caves and hammocks, etc and would like to see Dewey using his, but he's not. Is this normal for babies? Maybe as he gets older he'll start venturing around a bit more? All temps are fine as are the lights.

Any input?

mark83

Hatchling Member
Hmm, Im not sure what that could be. Dont know what he eats but maybe you could get him some treats? Something he doesnt have often? Just a thought but a new food choice might perk him up a bit.. Hopefully someone else will have more advice

DeweysMom

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Dewey currently gets 2 crix meals a day (morning and lunch) and phoenix worms for dinner. He eats all 3 meals very well. He also gets his daily salad which I always mix up. This week it's been collard greens, chicory, and blueberries. He's a very good salad eater on most days. His appetite is, and always has been, very healthy. He's a very good eater. I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't say his diet is effecting him negatively.

He rarely has stress marks anymore other than when he's shedding. I'd just like to see him get around more in his viv. Maybe it's just his personal preference. I don't know.

I would really like to get input though on the average length of time your beardies are out of their cage before they settle down and fall asleep. I just want to make sure his behavior is relatively normal and if not is there something I can do to fix it?

So... if you're reading this, can you please at least post your beardies out of cage time before they fall asleep? It would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Our girls have been going nuts this spring. It started in February. I think they know it's going to get warmer (spring). They glass dance before their tank is even warm enough for them to eat. When we let them out, especially Goldie, they run everywhere then we go to look and they are behind something, asleep. Our Goldie is close to 2 years old now and Rosie is just over 1.5 years of age.

isabelleandpaul

Juvie Member
Balrog likes to walk around the house, but sometimes she scratches to get out of her viv and then goes somewhere to hide and sleep. So her time outside the viv can be between 5 minutes and 1 hour. When she looks like she's falling asleep, I put her back in.
As for staying in the basking spot, I think it is normal for a young dragon. Mine just started to "use" more of the viv space she has, and she's over 8 months old. If you want him to use the furniture you put in, maybe move those things where he likes to be! (That's what we did, the hammock is not the basking spot!)

DeweysMom

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks for taking the time to reply guys, it was very helpful and appreciated to get some answers. :)

I think MY main issue is that Dewey is my first lizard. All of my previous pets were cute, cuddly, and furry (except for my fish). I've had mice, hamsters, rats, ferrets, dogs, cats, etc. I'm constantly trying to relate Dewey to my ferrets for some reason. I know that they're completely different animals, but for me the "furr kids" are all I've ever known before Dewey.

Some nights he does go a bit longer outside of his cage, but lately he's been sticking to shorter time frames which caused me to worry a little, but like I said everything else is fine so I'm probaly over reacting once again. :oops:

He is also young so I guess I'll just "assume" as he gets older he'll start using the other areas in his viv. I don't want to move things around just to make me happy though. If he's content as things are I'll leave him as he is. :)

jenngib

Puff is 3 months old and I let him out every evening when I get home (hes out longer on weekends). He usually cuddles up and falls asleep on me within half an hour. Sometimes shorter, sometimes longer, depending on his mood. I think this is normal behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom