Need New UVB

This forum is for advanced discussions on Lighting and Enclosures. Advanced discussions are those that are not necessarily for the general hobbyist, contains practices that should not be applied by those lacking experience, or may be for theoretical discussions that we do not want to have confused with recommended care.

Need New UVB

Postby clyde612 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:14 pm

Hi there,

I've had my UVB for almost 5 months now so I'm going to buy a new bulb. I just wanted to run it by the forum and make sure this bulb is good/safe :)

https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-26062-Re ... B00AQU8HKO

Thanks guys!
clyde612
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Need New UVB

Postby CooperDragon » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:33 am

That's a good bulb. Do you already have a T5 bulb and fixture that size? If so, then you may not need to replace it yet. A good T5 should last at least a year before needing replacement.
CooperDragon

Postby clyde612 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:35 am

I have the bulb that same with (bulb was already in the fixture when I bought it at the store). The fixture says "USE ONLY 39 W T5 HO LAMP" and the actual bulb says "REPTISUN 5.0 UVB"

How long should I wait to replace it if I want to be on the safe side? I have always hear 6 months, and 5 to be safe... is that only for T8 or non-HO bulbs?
clyde612
Hatchling Poster

Postby clyde612 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:58 pm

Are you sure it is safe to wait that long?
clyde612
Hatchling Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:25 pm

Yeah the T5 bulbs should last at least a year. I measure mine with a Solarmeter and my Arcadia T5 is still going strong after 3+ years. The 6 month recommendation comes mostly from T8s and older bulbs. Best to replace it after a year or so if you aren't measuring the output just to be on the safe side, because they do decay over time. The 5.0 bulb has a lower output than the 10.0 / 12% bulbs so you'll want it at about the same distance as a T8 (6-8'' above the basking area). I would replace it with a 10.0 or 12% bulb if you need to mount it further than that. You can still use the existing T5 fixture for those bulbs.
CooperDragon

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Lighting/Enclosures